New to the club

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After looking and reading and researching and reading and looking, I found a boat for the family...

2004 Glastron SX 170 with a 115 Johnson. My buddy, who was in the business, said it was about an 8 or 9/10 on a quick once over. Nothing visible on the hull or engine to suggest any damage or neglect. Compression on the engine was 100psi +-2 on all four. Only issues are the tach doesn't function, though the warning lights do, and it occasionally stalls at idle. Buddy said neither should be hard to fix. Wet test was fun and felt slower than actual speed. I'm used to a 13' whaler that screams, but only goes ~28mph. We were 4 in boat, bimini up and hitting 36mph. Once we get the tach fixed, I'll get a second prop for top end...

We are planning on using it mostly for cruising and scalloping. It is immensely more comfortable to ride in than the whaler and has a prayer of keeping up with our friends when heading out for the bivalves.

34782_636492886242_25101139_36844599_4653110_n.jpg

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New to the club

Took it out yesterday for a little river cruise. only problems are the tach doesn't work, it will cut out at idle making docking difficult, and the throttle is a little sticky off idle i.e. it will bump from idle to faster than i'd like. Other than that, a fabulous boat!

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks to be in good condition, those minor stalling issues probably can be cured with a tune up and some carb cleaner.

My cousin has an SX 185 in the same color, with a 3.0L Volvo.

37264_1336354250792_1289176496_30755822_7878645_n.jpg

You won't be disappointed. Welcome to the club man!

qmrichardson

Seaman

Excellent buy and welcome to the Glastron family! you won't be disappointed.

jt185

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After looking and reading and researching and reading and looking, I found a boat for the family...

2004 Glastron SX 170 with a 115 Johnson. My buddy, who was in the business, said it was about an 8 or 9/10 on a quick once over. Nothing visible on the hull or engine to suggest any damage or neglect. Compression on the engine was 100psi +-2 on all four. Only issues are the tach doesn't function, though the warning lights do, and it occasionally stalls at idle. Buddy said neither should be hard to fix. Wet test was fun and felt slower than actual speed. I'm used to a 13' whaler that screams, but only goes ~28mph. We were 4 in boat, bimini up and hitting 36mph. Once we get the tach fixed, I'll get a second prop for top end...

We are planning on using it mostly for cruising and scalloping. It is immensely more comfortable to ride in than the whaler and has a prayer of keeping up with our friends when heading out for the bivalves.

34782_636492886242_25101139_36844599_4653110_n.jpg
Welcome lonesouth. Great looking Glastron! I had a 79 Merc 85 hp that stalled on idle. I ran a couple tanks with Seafoam through it which cured it.

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will chime in and second the welcome to the Glastron Family! I am thrilled with mine. This is my first full season with it!!

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's another pic from last season:
IMG_01521.jpg

I have been running a can of seafoam in each tank of gas and it still stalls out at idle. I'm going to run the 1 gallon seafoam decarb and see if that might also loosen up some gunk in the carbs.

Yesterday I was given the opportunity to remove and go through the carb on my push mower. The needle was stuck open causing it to overflow the bowl and the jet was clogged. Didn't take too long with a piece of wire and an air compressor to have it back to good. How much more difficult/complicated are the carbs on my outboard? I have the service manual, the good one, but wanted to get a basic estimate of difficulty compared to other carbs.

Thanks!

Here is an updated pic. I posted it in my radio thread, but for those curious to see the pics in one place, here it is.

fb44e136.jpg

And the first mate at the wheel!
IMG_03921.jpg

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rebuilt my carbs last night, hoping to cure the rough idle. I did find one of the needles was turned in two more times than the other three, and I suspect that was cause, but can't confirm. Hoping to have the carbs reinstalled this weekend and turned on sunday.