New To Sailing - Recommended Reading?

rml

Seaman
Greetings to the Sailing Board,<br /><br />I have spent the last 2-3 years in the Project Boats, I/O Engines and General Boating forums and now have acquired a 21' sailboat (cruiser/racer with cabin). I plan to stay on Sebago Lake 98% of the time and have been in, on and around motor boats and big ships for 30+ years...sailboats however, are entirely new to me. Are there any "must read" books out there and also other titles that may be specific to the size boat that I have. Many thanks in advance.<br /><br />Best Regards,<br /><br /> --rml

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: New To Sailing - Recommended Reading?

Annapolis Book of Seamanship by John Rossmaneire(sp). Very in depth about most aspects of sailing.<br />Local library is bound to have lots of reading.

flashback

Captain

Ditto on Ed, It is one good book.

dwrate

Recruit

I recommend "The Complete Sailor" by David Seidman. Very well done.<br /><br />David

hindsight

Cadet

Agreed. I'm a big fan of "Chapman's Piloting"... great reference - very thorough and practical in its approach. Reading is one thing, but truth is nothing teaches like plenty of tiller time.<br /><br />If you're going to do some reading, I'd pay special attention to the explanations of right-of-way. They are much more complex when you're skippering a ship under sail and not under power.<br /><br />Welcome aboard. Have fun.

jayprice7

Cadet

I have taught sailing for the past 12 years, and I have found that the best book to introduce someone to sailing is 'Start Sailing Right'. It is certified by the American Red Cross, and US Sailing. It costs about $20 and you can find it in most major book stores.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't miss the opportunity to read some sailing books just for the joy of it too. Dove is a great book to start with. There are so many great books about others experiences that fan the flame of your sailing interest.

zdmaster2k

Seaman

I like the "Handbook of Sailing" by Bob Bond, includes dinghies and cruisers and is very comprehensive, all the best with your sailing!