New to Pontoons...Quick Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolomonMan

Cadet
All,
Recently bought a pontoon last spring (1991 24 foot Party Barge) from my pastor.

The pontoon was used exclusively at a lake cabin and did not have a trailer. I did ride in the boat before purchase (across the large inland lake) and have seen the boat multiple times just floating on the lake.

So we rented a trailer and hauled it 60 miles to my place and put it on blocks.

This spring I put it on the new trailer and I noticed that it sounds like their is a very small amount of water in the one pontoon tube or trapped near the pontoon tube (resonating sound). I am guessing very small amount of water as tapping does not tell level at all and it only "swishes" when I shake the trailer quite a bit also when the trailer is tilted slightly. Also its resonating sound not really like water flow. This is the first activity with the boat since the fall and this past season was the largest snowfall and coldest winter in Northwest Ohio's recorded history.

My question I guess how would the water get into the pontoon tube? Condensation? Trapped somewhere but where?

Reminds me of small amount of water that can get trapped in a compressor tank.

In the fall there was no such noise or signs of water. The tubes are dirty/scale (freshwater) but I see no signs of stress or holes etc.

I am about to tear off the wood deck, replace, and put in new carpet. Last guy who replaced the deck (original owner/not pastor/but neighbor of pastor) used the wrong plywood and the deck is flexing and carpet shot.

Should there be something I should look for specifically while getting a birds eye view?

Thanks once again for the help,
Chris

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: New to Pontoons...Quick Question....

Most likely a small leak in the tube. Usually at a welded seam or where a riser / bracket attaches tube to cross brace. Best to drain water through existing drain plug or if not drill a small hole. Use extremely low pressure 3-5 psi to find the leak. Use a qualified aluminum welder to fix. Good luck !!!

SolomonMan

Cadet

Most likely a small leak in the tube. Usually at a welded seam or where a riser / bracket attaches tube to cross brace. Best to drain water through existing drain plug or if not drill a small hole. Use extremely low pressure 3-5 psi to find the leak. Use a qualified aluminum welder to fix. Good luck !!!

Thanks for the information.....

I am new to pontoons...

Can you tell me where on the pontoon the drain plugs are located? Is it in the back like many boats?

Thanks,
Chris

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many pontoons do not have drains. They can be added if desired, but your main concern should be to have a qualified shop find and fix the leak, then you will not need a drain. Also most pontoons are compartmental, so a drain in back would not help a leak in the front. Good luck with the new boat! Make sure you search the forums for advice on re-decking, allot of good info here

MPI_Mallard

Cadet

Either there will be a drain plug at the bottom of the rear cap on the tubes or there will be threaded plugs on top of the tubes under the deck risers also like mine you may have several plugs as they might be compartmenized float tubes so if you hole one section the whole tube wont fill and sink. As far as the water goes find the plugs and fill the tube with some water and search around the tube, If you see the leak mark it with a grease pencil and have it repaired by a good welder or as in my case I found a 1/16" pin-hole in my tube that I simply drained the tube letting the water drain out through the hole and using a drill bit I opened it up to accept a 3/16" rivet and I used JB water weld WaterWeld | Specially Formulated Epoxy Putty to coat the back of the rivet and after setting it I put a small patch over the rivet head, the whole repair took about an hour and under $10, easy peezy!

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Either there will be a drain plug at the bottom of the rear cap on the tubes or there will be threaded plugs on top of the tubes under the deck risers also like mine you may have several plugs as they might be compartmenized float tubes so if you hole one section the whole tube wont fill and sink. As far as the water goes find the plugs and fill the tube with some water and search around the tube, If you see the leak mark it with a grease pencil and have it repaired by a good welder or as in my case I found a 1/16" pin-hole in my tube that I simply drained the tube letting the water drain out through the hole and using a drill bit I opened it up to accept a 3/16" rivet and I used JB water weld WaterWeld | Specially Formulated Epoxy Putty to coat the back of the rivet and after setting it I put a small patch over the rivet head, the whole repair took about an hour and under $10, easy peezy!

That would work if you leak is low on the pontoon. To find a leak anywhere else you will have to pressure test them. Many toons can develop stress leaks on the top supports. Also if you have a small crack it will need to be drilled at the beginning and end of the crack, then welded, or the crack will continue. I probably would not recommend the fill with water approach, but whatever works.

rogerwa

Commander

My old pontoon a few years back started listing and I had it pressure tested. The tester found that there were cracks on the top of the toons on the rearmost brackets. What would happen is that it would flex while underway and take on water when the water rushed over the rear of the toon. The tester also found pinhole leaks on the bottom of the toons. He said the metal on the bottom had gotten very thin and had a hard time patching them.

A very thorough inspection may find the flaws, but the best way is low pressure and soap and water.

Dr. Evil

Cadet

I'm no expert but the filling with water idea sounds bad. That is a lot of weight and stress to put on a tube that was never designed for that. Just the weight alone could cause all kinds of issues I'd think.

MPI_Mallard

Cadet

I wasn't proposing filling the tubes just a couple of inches, if there is a hole it'll likely be on the bottom.

HarborRat

Seaman

It could just be condensation. Since the sound wasn't there in the fall but is there now, and you didn't have it in the water at all, IF there is a leak it would probably be a pretty noticeable hole in top of one of the toons that allowed melting snow to enter. While the deck is off take a look. I've seen many toons with 1" holes drilled on top of each chamber and only filled with a rubber stopper that may have fallen out...not sure why their there, vents of some sort I guess. Anyway if you are lucky it could be something that simple.

I wouldn't go too far into leak testing without putting it in the water and finding out if there really is one.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

If he can hear swishing then there is a problem. Condensation would not accumulate enough to be noticeable like this.

Testing it in the water is also not a good idea. This will get even more water int here that will need to be drained out.

Easiest and best solution is to get it pressure tested and then any leaks will be identified and can be fixed correctly.

SolomonMan

Cadet

It could just be condensation. Since the sound wasn't there in the fall but is there now, and you didn't have it in the water at all, IF there is a leak it would probably be a pretty noticeable hole in top of one of the toons that allowed melting snow to enter. While the deck is off take a look. I've seen many toons with 1" holes drilled on top of each chamber and only filled with a rubber stopper that may have fallen out...not sure why their there, vents of some sort I guess. Anyway if you are lucky it could be something that simple.

I wouldn't go too far into leak testing without putting it in the water and finding out if there really is one.

I think I will check things out more after this crazy weather passes....I am wondering if it is condensation....but in either case I will get a better view of everything once the deck is off.

The weather has went from a high of the mid 70's (nice at night) to a high mid 20's (inch or so of snow) in a 24 hour period. I went out yesterday and tried shaking things some more (high in the upper 40's - low 50's) and I do not hear the water sound any more.

Keep in mind I heard this the first time after I put the boat on its trailer for the first time. So maybe water was trapped somewhere and I could hear it.

My goal is to get the deck replaced by end of May....got another large house construction project I am finishing up and will hopefully be complete by second week of May.

Thanks,
Chris

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

most holes develop on top where the brackets are welded. the tube is about 50% above water and in the sun. when that section of tube gets a wave over it, or dips due to a bunch of people, it cools enough to create a low pressure and it actually sucks the water in thru the crack.

my friends pontoon gets used about 300 hours per year His neighbor probably about half the hours. Both their logs have been patched a few times where the brackets are welded over the past 25 years. what we do to get the water out when either develops a leak is as follows:

with pontoon on trailer, determine which sections have water in them. usually using a mechanics stethoscope or a heavy screwdriver up to your ear while listening for sloshing.
we pull the 3/8" npt plug from the top of the pontoon sections with water
take a 1/4" id section of flexible tubing (same tubing we use for aeration of bate coolers), drop to the bottom.
using an air nozzle and one hand, hold the air nozzle over the remainder of the open threaded hole. this will pressurize the tube to a few PSI and push the water out thru the flexible tubing.
after most of the water comes out, it may spit and sputter, there will be a really small bit that remains in the bottom. we then dump in a container of rubbing alcohol, suck that out, and then blow air in thru the flexible tubing to evaporate the remaining rubbing alcohol. This removes most of the remaining water.
while this is going on, the other person uses soap and water to find the leak(s) we wire-brush the area, mark with a sharpie.
then we take the pontoon to the welder to get the leaks welded.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does the use of alcohol create a potential explosion hazard when welding like welding a fuel tank?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the alcohol has evaporated long prior to us getting the pontoon to the welder.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have used a cheap drill driven pump to get unwanted water out in a bind in the past. All you need is a cordless drill, pump and 2 lengths of hose. Gets most of the water out and is completely portable.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also have used a cheap drill driven pump to get unwanted water out in a bind in the past. All you need is a cordless drill, pump and 2 lengths of hose. Gets most of the water out and is completely portable.

I did the same thing. Got a couple of gallons out. I pressurized and sprayed soapy water over all welds, seams, etc. I'm just going to leave alone and plan on siphoning every few years.

gregpenn

Recruit

Was the rivet aluminum or stainless steel?

jbcurt00

Staff member
@gregpenn please dont reopen old inactive topic.

If you have questions about working on your pontoon, start a topic and ask questions there.

Aluminum pontoons should use aluminum rivets, just make sure to get aluminum mandrels and that rivets are closed end blinds. Regular pop rivets have a thru hole and would leak

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.