New to pontooning and towing

redwhtblu3

Recruit
Hello and Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I just purchased my first pontoon and am wanting to make sure I provide a safe and fun atmosphere for my grandkids as well as others. What type of equipment do I need to pull small children and adults? I do have a tow bar on the back of the boat. It's a 23' Starcraft with 115hp.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need a tube and a tow rope. You also need a ladder to get back on the 'toon

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make sure that everyone wears a life vest, take it slow until the riders and you get the hang of it, have a designated spotter to tell you if a rider falls off, watch the waves that could throw a young rider, watch out for other boats that might have a driver that is not paying attention. If someone does fall off get back to them quickly as possible.
When getting on and off boat be sure that prop is not under power.

Get wet and have fun.

If the grand kids are too young for skiing you could get a piece of plywood and cut it in a circle and paint it to protect the wood from the water. I learned on a disc at a very early age and I was just messing around on one a few weeks back. They are fun, you can sit, stand, lay down do spins and never go over 5 mph. The rider holds the rope like he is water skiing,