New (to me) Truck :)

ndemge

Commander
Just picked this up...<br /><br />'84 F250 with 7.4L 2WD Extended Cab <br />77k, maybe 177k, no clue.<br /><br />Pretty much rust free, a little cancer starting above the wheel well trim.<br /><br />In need of: Tie Rod Ends ($170 installed) and Muffler ($90 installed) Has factory air, will see what is needed to make it work.<br /><br />Has a gooseneck hitch already in the bed, brake controller already in the cab. Needs a receiver hitch put on.<br /><br />Paid $1800, what would something like this go for in other areas?<br /><br /><br />
84f2509pv.jpg

wetcandle

Cadet
Re: New (to me) Truck :)

Around here I would say that is worth no more than $1400, especially with everybody getting rid of used vehicles for all of the employee pricing things on new ones.

11 footer

Lieutenant

$1800 is about what it should be worth here (MA)<br /><br />Being a two wheel drive is a deal killer in New England, but you shouldn't have to worry about that. ;) <br /><br />It looks real clean from the picture, with no rust I'd say you did pretty good. New 1/3 trucks arn't cheap.<br /><br />Now you just gotta keep gas in it! As much as I love my new bronco, I can't afford to take the thing anywhere!! Its costing me like $60 a week. :(

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Is "rust" something that happens often on vehicles driven up north? I honestly don't see a lot of "rust" on even the oldest of cars around here?<br /><br />Is it due to the salt they put on the roads to melt ice?<br /><br />This southern boy honestly doesn't know.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

The rust is definitely the by-product of road salt.

KRS

Banned

Nice truck<br /><br />if it were 4x4, it would go for a premium here in the desert

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

7.4L... Woah! :eek: Nice! She looks in good shape... :) <br /><br />Around these parts, and if you can find one that's not beat; you'd be looking at $2000 or more IMHO..

TilliamWe

Banned

Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br /> Is "rust" something that happens often on vehicles driven up north? I honestly don't see a lot of "rust" on even the oldest of cars around here?<br /><br />Is it due to the salt they put on the roads to melt ice?<br /><br />This southern boy honestly doesn't know.
Move to either coast in your state & look at the pickups. You'll see rust (under the rear bumpers) from the salt that "the man" put in the ocean! :D <br />Noel, the truck is worth what even you wanted to pay for it.<br />Also, not to pick on you, but it's a 7.5 (460). 7.4 is a Chevy engine (454)

11 footer

Lieutenant

Never delt with rust? Your a lucky man, its a serious prolbem here, an issue with almost all cars cover 5 years old, to some degree. <br /><br />My dad bought a brand new ford Crown Vic in 1988, took exelent care of it, but the thing was just a rust bucket. Ran like a raped ape, all the way to the end, and would still be going strong if rust haden't eaten every thing up, frame, every body panel,trunk, everything!! Lots of other older cars around here with the same thing

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br />
Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br /> Also, not to pick on you, but it's a 7.5 (460). 7.4 is a Chevy engine (454)
Maybe it's a diesel??

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Kelly Blue Book is saying $2,925 around here. Looks like you got a great deal.<br />Bassy

ndemge

Commander

Yeah, your right, 7.5<br />I'm a cheby guy, but not to the extreme that I won't get something else if it's the right truck.<br /><br />And yeah, we've got lots of salt on the roads, most trucks over 10 years are rusted out if they live outside and get driven on the salt. Luckily, someone with a 2wd truck usually leaves it at home when it snows.<br /><br />I was really wanting a small block, but as little as it will get driven, I'm not really too worried about fuel consumption.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br />
Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br /> Also, not to pick on you, but it's a 7.5 (460). 7.4 is a Chevy engine (454)
Maybe it's a diesel??

one more cast

Captain

A 1984 Ford pickup around my area would be in the junk yard (or should be) with much of the sheet metal completely rusted away. My wife stepped on the receiver hitch of my '88 ford plow truck and the whole think broke right off due to rust.

Twidget

Commander

Trucks like that go for more in this area, TX. It looks like a good purchase from here. Congrats.

ndemge

Commander

Going to do a carfax to see the title history, it's got a smog pump, so figure it was probably out in CA for a while, hense the lack of rust.