New (to me) Sea Doo! Need Help!

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone! I have aquired a 1994 Sea Doo 650 (I think?). When cranked it idles great, but bogs down and cuts off when I give it any throttle. I can sometimes pull the choke out about 1/4 of the way while giving it throttle and get up to almost 3000 rpms but thats the best I can get. It will idle up and down the river all day though. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what causes this? Thanks in advance for your reply.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New (to me) Sea Doo! Need Help!

sounds like a carb issue. start with the basics. first thing i usually do is check compression. that lets you know (for the most part) that the piston/rings are ok. running better choked indicates that the motor needs to be richer. i.e., it wants more fuel vs. air. a lack of fuel usually means it's time to tear apart the carb(s) and rebuild. pretty easy and rebuild kits are easy to find. the original fuel lines sea doo used are notorious for breaking down over time, so after you rebuild the carb(s), replace the fuel lines.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: New (to me) Sea Doo! Need Help!

I can almost guarantee its a carb issue. Find a good power sports repair center and have the carbs rebuilt. They gum up quickly from lack of use and should be gone thru every 2 years or so unless used on a regular basis.

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a classic case and symptoms of a 90's Seadoo having the old problematic grey tempo fuel lines. You should check to see if you have them. They are infamous in the SeaDoo world of breaking down internally and having green goo that gums up and clogs up the fuel system and carbs. If you do have these grey fuel lines, replace them. Then have the carbs professionally cleaned and overhauled. I had the EXACT same problems with my 1995 GTX (bogging down, etc...). I had a local SeaDoo dealer overhaul the carbs, then I immediately removed the old grey fuel lines and replaced them with new black fuel lines. This was last year, and it's ran like a top since.