New (to me) boat and motor

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a 1996 pontoon boat with the original 1996 Honda BF90. I thought this forum made sense because I am looking more for generic "what to do" info rather than Honda specific. It seems to run good, but what maintenance should I do before summer? And I dont mean oil change or standard stuff (like greasing all the zerks). I have never had an outboard before, and like to learn my way around a new motor, and figured that Id go down the list of checking this and checking that. Anything in particular that I should make sure to do? Thank you.

64osby

Admiral
Re: New (to me) boat and motor

If it's a new to you motor, change the impeller. A motor with a good cooling system is a happy motor most of the time.

New plugs are always a good idea. Inspect the wires. Replace fuel filter and check fuel lines.

Someone here has a great saying, If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Very sound advice.

There are preventative maintenance items, but digging for problems usually creates more.

I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, and I agree. I like to get to know my boat and motor, and want to make sure the easy stuff is out of the way, but I absolutely do not want to go digging for trouble! I figured you all would know best.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a Honda Service Manual and read up on all the systems, trouble shooting etc. Provided you are the type that like to read a service manual...

Another good project is to figure out what prop and pitch is on your motor. Then see if you are propped correctly for a pontoon and the prop allows your motor to operate in the right power band and RPM zone.

Read up on operation of the tilt/trim of the motor and how it affects your pontoon ride and top speeds.

Check into how your engine is choked/enriched, fuel delivery, and all the components needed to start your motor. Good to know how all that works in case you have start problems.

And if you get past all that, start looking on iBoats for the 100000 accessories that can be purchased for a pontoon. hahahah

Just some ideas...

UncleBuck81

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with post above! I always change the impeller everyone always says new impeller, but years can slip by. I do it every year since I fish a lot. I would also run some sea foam in it to clean it out once you have a new impeller and get it tuned up.