New to I/O Drives Have some ?'s

lazermule

Cadet
I picked up a 1989 Forester this past week that is powered by a 3.0 GM with an OMC Cobra outdrive. The boat only needed a shift cable which I replaced Sunday and now everything functions perfectly. The questions I have are:

What is the drive I have called? I keep hearing Alpha and Bravo I' and II's is that referring to OMC or Mercruiser? I guess I was kind of hoping that it would have the cool name like the Alpha or the Bravo.

What engines came with the drive I have? Is it limited to 4 cylinders? The 3.0 looks to have the same bell pattern as the small block chev....

Is winterizing in freezing climates just as simple pulling the plugs on the drive and draining? Or should the system be flushed with RV antifreeze?

Is oil changing in an I/O normally done by sucking the oil out?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to I/O Drives Have some ?'s

I picked up a 1989 Forester this past week that is powered by a 3.0 GM with an OMC Cobra outdrive.

What is the drive I have called?

Near as I can tell by your question, you have an OMC Cobra.

keep hearing Alpha and Bravo I' and II's is that referring to OMC or Mercruiser?

The Alpha and Bravo drives are all Mercruiser.

Engines are a different story. All marine engine "Marinizers" buy LONG blocks froim GM, (and Ford years ago), then all the accessories are custom for Mercruiser, Volvo, and OMC (Before they went out of buisness)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Head on up to the Adults Only section,... There's a Boatload of information in there,...;)

lazermule

Cadet

Ayuh,... Head on up to the Adults Only section,... There's a Boatload of information in there,...;)

Yeah, found that section after I posted. Didn't want to open it at work with a title like that. Why does it have that title anyway??

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why does it have that title anyway??
because curiosity will overwhelm readers and they will go there which is exactly where the mods want you to go. Lots of good stuff in there.

lazermule

Cadet

because curiosity will overwhelm readers and they will go there which is exactly where the mods want you to go. Lots of good stuff in there.

AAAH, good plan......I would have opened that first had I not been at work.

lazermule

Cadet

So is the Mercruiser considered the better one between the Cobra and it? That seems to be what I am gathering here on the forum.

LM

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One isn't necessarily better than the other. The typical concern is that outdrive has been out of production for many years. That said, you can still find parts for it. Qualified service techs are dwindling each year. Get a manual and keep it maintained. Lots of them still in use today.