New to forum and boating

Len_Rice

Cadet
Hello, i'm rice, and have always enjoyed fishing and auto mechanics. getting a boat was inevitable. i've got an '82 bayliner with a volvo penta 4 cylinder ohc 270 outdrive system that's in great shape. i've added MSD ignition, a doelfin tail, holley 2-bbl carb, tweaked the timing, and replumbed the fuel line, installed an in-line filter on the suction side of a new electric fuel pump fired by a 12-volt relay. bottom line: runs great!!! well, as good as this combo with 500 hours could be expected to run. i look foreward to all the discussion on this forum! i plan to rebuild the motor once with more compression, and when the i can spin my current prop more than 500 rpm above stock, i'll go to more pitch. (you know where this is heading, of course; i'm already looking at v-8 transom exhaust models next!)<br /><br /> rice!

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New to forum and boating

Hi Rice!<br />Welcome to iboats.com :) <br />This is the outboard section. Please post this in <br /> I/O or Inboard Engine Troubles & Questions <br />Or one of the moderators move it for you.<br />You'll get better and more replys there.<br /><br />Good luck!

D

DJ

Rice,<br /><br />Glad to have you here. Welcome.<br /><br />I hope those mod's you made were NOT automotive parts-especially the carb. Otherwise you're going to "catch it" from many of the members. :eek: <br /><br />Automotive parts are not made to the same standards as marine. As an example, marine carburetors have overflow tubes that will run fuel from a flooding float bowl back down the throat of the carb.<br /><br />The electric fuel pump concerns me also. Unless it is wired so that it will shut down with the loss of oil pressure or some other vital engine system.<br /><br />I'm not trying to scare you off. Just want you to be safe. Let us know how we can help, we'll be here. :) :)

Bondo

Staff member

Welcome Aboard.....<br />1 other little hint..... sounds like your boat is tricked out nicely... Now, don't bother trying to V8 the boat you've got.... maintain it, but save your money on the trick stuff.... Buy a boat Closer to what you Really Want... Then Buy It... you can trick out the "new" boat... you Could Do it to your bayliner, BUT, you'll invest WAY to Much Money into a boat that'll Only be worth about what you originally payed for it..!!!! <br /><br />Happy Boating...

f_inscreenname

Commander

Hay Rice; First let me welcome a fellow hot rodder/fisherman here to our little hide out. Hope you don't take off after djohns19 comments. Most of us are not going to lecture you on what you can and can not do. Yes there plenty of the same parts in your car as in your boat but there is some parts that should be marine (not saying I have followed this law to the letter in the past) but it is a good idea. If you ask (which I don't think you did, I took your post as a introduction)..........you get what you get. The good, bad and honest and legal (nobody wants a law suit).<br /> If you are like me and it sounds like you are (tweaking every last HP). Wait till you get a V-8. I found my dream boat a couple years ago and have been working on it ever since. Its a 1973 19' J Allmand with a 360ci/320hp Mopar and yes it has through hull exhaust. Fast (65mph) and stable in a wake. If you are interested there is a picture of it in the Projects/back yard section under "had to post a picture". Hope you come back. There is a lot of good boating people here (even djohns19) with even better info and we promise we wont lecture you.<br />Mark