New to boating question

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 2001 Four Winns Horizon 190 w/ Volvo/Penta 5.0L SX sterndrive.<br />Are these good engines? Has about 85hrs on it now. Any maintenance I need to do with this many hours? Anything I should know that would be important about this engine?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to boating question

It's a 5.0L Chevy V8. and the SX drives are excellent drives.<br />There is a LOT of maintenance items on boats. Most are done by Hours or Weekly/Monthly/Yearly which ever comes first type maintenance.<br />One thing you do need to know, is not to go by year for engine/drive stuff. You could very well have a 2000 engine in your boat.<br />Do you have a full model number? Perhaps a serial number? Could find all the good info for you with that.<br /><br />You can also go to the link below (Volvo Site) and download an owners manual that has all the maintence items and schedules you need to follow.<br /><br /> http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/operators_manual/operators_manual.htm <br /><br />If it were my boat, I would assume it had never had any maintenance done on it ever and start from there and do everything. Oil changes, tuneups, fuel filters, check the bellows for water, ujoint and gimbal bearing check. Alignment check. Gear lube change, change anodes, replace the raw water pump impeller..... and all that kind of stuff. and more.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Engine S/N 4012048172 And ty for all the info..It has beena great help already

Don S

You have a 5.0GL PEFS<br />That tells me you have a carbed engine and is an "EF" model which is a 2000 year model.<br />Here is a service bulletin from Volvo that explains the model numbers.<br /><br /> Volvo Engine ID <br /><br />With your serial number, you should have no problems getting your owners manual.<br />If you want actual service manuals (which you should have if you want to work on the engine and drive) you will need the following Volvo manuals and supplements.<br /><br />Workshop manual. Engine Components PN 7797353<br />Workshop manual. Electrical, Ignition, Fuel PN 7743244<br />Supplement, wiring diagrams PN 7743245<br />Workshop manual; SX-M PN 7743008

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Don,<br /><br />Not trying to hijack the thread but this is not a significant question.<br /><br />I went to your link regarding Volvo engine ID. It states that for a 7.4 GL PLKD it is for 1996 through 1997. This engine is in my 1998 Wellcraft. Is this a common practice?<br /><br />Bruce

Don S

Late 96 to Late 97, so it's considered a 97 model by most of the Volvo material.<br />Yes, it's common. The boat manufactures estimate engine usage and how many, same as Volvo. Estimates are NEVER perfect, Then they use up all the old models before starting the newer models.