New to boating, new to Mercruiser 3.0 some questions

RedAlpha3.0

Recruit
Hi all, I'm a new boat owner, my wife and I live on a 5000 acre lake in KY, figuring we needed a boat I bought a 1984 Mercruiser 3.0 with a Alpha One drive. The boat seems to need a few things to bring it up to snuff, a water pump, better sump pump, etc... Is there a specific brand of parts that is considered best for parts like the water pump and sump pump or is OEM as good as it gets? The boat will be docked with the intent to be pulled out monthly for inspection and cleaning so I'd like to get an automatic sump pump if that matters.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
As far as a water pump goes, use the serial number from your motor and lookup the required part number. I would use a mercury or quicksilver brand water pump...but you can find others that will fit, like Sierra.
The bilge pump is a different story. There will not be a Mercury brand bilge pump. You will need to buy a bilge pump and a float switch. The float switch is mounted in the bilge area, on the floor. When water raises the float up, it activates the bilge pump. You can find a decent bilge pump and float on amazon or the iBoats site.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the raw water pump came on the engine from GM. its a GM marine pump that fits the 153 (2.5 liter), 181 (3.0 liter) or the 250 cubic inch (4.1 liter)

make sure to service your points come spring.

RedAlpha3.0

Recruit
Thanks guys, that is a lot of good information. BTW this is my boat :)

Attachments

• IMG_4539.jpg
    IMG_4539.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 6