New to BB - switch vro to premix

JMetz

Recruit
Hello folks, I just joined because I was referred here from another site. Just have to say that I poked around for a few days and am impressed with what I have read.<br /><br />I have an '89 Evinrude 70 HP VRO that is giving me troubles. Three times out ago we got the constant oil alarm just 10 seconds after startup. We redid the oil lines, changed the oil in the tank, bled the lines, reconnected, etc. etc. and the next time out the motor ran with no alarm. (we just backed it in at the ramp - didn't take it on the lake) Last weekend, however, we started it up and within 10 seconds the alarm was going off again - quite frustrating. We see oil in the clear indicator tube and we know there's no air in the line.<br /><br />Here's what I guess from reading other posts...<br /><br />The constant alarm means low oil in the tank - which there isn't. Some have said that the low oil sensor goes bad and to try cutting the lead from that sensor - leaving the sensors in the motor still active. Is that something I should try?<br /><br />Or, I am thinking of bagging the oil tank altogether and going to premix in the gas tank. But, should I get a regular fuel pump or keep running the VRO and just plug the oil lines? Which is the better option?<br /><br />Whatever help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!<br /><br />-Metz

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to BB - switch vro to premix

Constant alarm is overheat. Alarm on/off every couple of seconds is low oil. Which are you getting?