New Tires...need help

Jeff Peacock

Seaman
I'm in the process of buying new tires for my trailer, and I'd like to go to something more durable. Right now, we've got the skinny 12' trailer tires they sell at most large dept. stores, i.e. wally world, etc. I'd like to put 12' passenger-car tires onto the rims I currently have, but I don't know if I can do that. The tires we're currently running are tubeless, and I'm wondering if we can use the same rims, or if we'd have to buy all new rim and tire. Any advice would be appreciated!

tommays

Admiral
Re: New Tires...need help

you need to use a tire with and ST rateing (special trailer)<br /><br />i have had the best luck buying them compleat tire and rim <br /><br />size comes down to what size will fit with out rubbing on anything when you hit bumps<br /><br />tommays

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think trailer tires have thicker side walls than auto tires. Chaces are you won't be able to find an auto tire thin enough to fit your rims. depending on your bolt pattern you may also not be able to rims to fit.From my experience best place to buy is tire shop that caters to farmers. You can usualy negotiate the price and they will suggest what you need .<br /><br /><br /> Jim

D

DJ

Trailer tires are indeed different. The sidewalls are thicker.<br /><br />Can you fit small 13" inch wheels/tires?

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

I can try- the wheel wells are fit down fairly tight to the 12 inch tires I have now, but I haven't yet looked close enough at the wheel wells to tell if they're "move-able". I've got a five-bolt pattern, so it should be easier to fit rims than with a four-bolt pattern. Thanks for the help- I'm heading to a little place called Canadian Tire tomorrow. More than just tires, don't you know (joke just for the canuck boys and girls out there :) ).

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Are your current tires 4.80 x 12" ??<br />You should be able to put on 5.30 x 12" rims and tires with no problem.<br />Not quite a car sized tire, but the weight load rating is higher.

D

DJ

5-bolt is GOOD. You may be able to switch to 13's and forget tire problems.

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

That's what I'd like to do- go to 13 inch tires. I figured I could do it with the five-bolt pattern. What does doing so entail? Simply finding 13 inch tires and rims that will fit? Is there anything else I need to be thinking about?

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

procede with caution.car tires of the 12and 13 inch variety usually only have a load range "b" and are radial. trailer tires have a greater load range and are bias ply. radial car tires are made to ride nice and quietly but not carry much. depending on how large your boat and trailer are will determine tire size and load range needed.my advice is stick with what is recomended by the company that manufactured the trailer. if you are deternined to make modifacations consult with a reputable tire shop/technition. :)

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by skeezx01:<br /> car tires of the 12and 13 inch variety usually only have a load range "b" and are radial. trailer tires have a greater load range and are bias ply.
Total BS.....all of my trailer tires are Radials - Goodyear Marathons.<br />And yes, they are ST rated.

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 12 inch tires I have have a load rating of about 850lbs. If you can go to a 13 you will have a much greater load rating. If your bolt pattern is 4.5 inches you can probably get a big assortment of rims. If they fit the wheel you may need to move the fenders a little. Remember you are still limited by your axle rating.