New starcraft owner question

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everyone, I am the proud owner of a 1978 starcraft, 18' Aluminum

Could someone please tell me what type of starcraft this is. I hope the one picture shows enough detail.

Going to rebuild it and use it as a fishing, slash duck hunting boat in the end. Going to start the project over the winter, and hope to have it completed by spring.

Thanks in advance.

WayneSIDEVIEW.jpg

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: New starcraft owner question

Welcome aboard starcrazy...looks like an 18' Mariner hull there. It's the center console model they've made since the 70s.:)

Nice boats, should do just fine for your purposes.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the information.

Brother owns a 16' with a tiller, but my dad says it's to small to go out to Lake Erie. So I bought this for the dual purpose.
She needs allot of work, but price was fair, and I have the time.

Thanks again.:)

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

My parents bought a late 70's 15'6" Starcraft trihull with a 55 HP Johnson outboard. My crazy *** old man used to take me fishing 15 miles out in lake Erie. Lake kicks up real quick too. Should have never gone out this far as we did sometimes. I learned a lot about boating by doing that.

Never had a problem with Erie kick-in up in January. Been out 10 miles in the VW ice fish-in bus. 50 hp shoe box!

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Starcrazy, that is a Mariner. Many are around. I owned one for many years and fished salmon on Lake Michigan solo. Never went out more than 3 miles and came in when white caps formed and wind exceeded 10kts. I learned to never go out without a kicker motor, extra gas, and 2-battery (Perko switch) setup. Nothing lonlier than waiting for someone to come by you can hail. The Mariner is a great boat. In mine, I put a new floor, re-wired with a fuse block, and rebuilt the seats. You may want to have the transom checked for rot if you're rebuilding. Now is the time to replace it with 2 sheets of 3/4" marine plywood glued together. The boat has lots of foam flotation between the floor and hull you'll need to replace. It is a great boat....enough V for Erie and little draft for ducks and bass.