New SST prop with holes (voids) in casting??

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got a new OMC SST prop and noticed holes, or void like areas through the webs that hold the hub to the main prop body. Holes are in two out of three webs and under 2 of the blades as well (inside where blade intersects main body). Looks like incomplete casting. I have other SST props and they all have this to some degree but not under the blade area. Should I be concerned about balance or is this a non-issue?<br /><br />Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New SST prop with holes (voids) in casting??

Moving to General Outboard

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I guess posting a foto is out of the question so I'd suggest taking it to a good prop shop and ask them wtf. Doesn't sound right to me.<br />Post back and tell us what you find out.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bomb says if you can pass a #2 pencil through a hole in the casting it's defective. This prop has a 1/4" deep 1/4" wide by 1.5" long cavity (missing material) under the root of one blade and smaller holes under one other blade. It has multiple holes in the webbing that holds the inner hub to the outer hub, one that will almost allow a pencil diameter to pass. I'm think'n this props not going on my boat!

walleyehed

Admiral

Ithink that's a wise choice.....don't understand the voids gettin' past Q.C. though..?????? :confused:

Hooty

Rear Admiral

A number 2 pencil huh. What kind of caca del toro is that? Did you get this intel from a dealer or direct from the factory? I'd not be puttin' any ragged-azz, holey prop on my boat either.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Info came right from the horses mouth. I sure hope they balance 100% of these props after casting. Although, spinning in water with high loads on the blade may make any balance issues with missing Web/hub material insignificant...? Strength is a whole other issue!