New saltwater fishing regulations?

PW2

Commander
Re: New saltwater fishing regulations?

I applaud efforts to scientifically manage and maintain fish populations, and any and all regulation that requires. As long as it is done with proper science, properly funded, behind it.<br /><br />Some of my favorite areas of puget sound when I was a kid, for example, are completely devoid of fish now, and there has never been a commercial season on some of these.<br /><br />Other areas were completely stripped of fish by out of control commercial fishing--I remember a spot on the west side of Whidbey Island where commercial fishermen set gill nets that were tied to the shoreline, running perpendicular to the beach out a half mile. It completely eliminated the salmon run on the west side of the island. The fishermen argued that there was lots of room for the salmon to escape the nets, but unfortunately the salmon follow the coastline, and were not smart enough to know they should go where they have gone before...in order to avoid the nets.<br /><br />Anyway, good scientifc regulation is critical, IMO.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: New saltwater fishing regulations?

BALDERDASH!<br /><br />msn's
The researchers said recreational fishing takes 59 percent of the red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico, 93 percent of red drum in the South Atlantic and 87 percent of bocaccio on the Pacific coast.
"recreational fishing takes 59 percent of the red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico".. <br /><br />With a four red snapper per person daily bag limit in Florida gulf waters, and a closed season fron november first thru april 14th, I seriously doubt that figure......<br /><br />"93 percent of red drum in the South Atlantic" <br /><br /> A very well managed fishery with a 1 fish per day bag limit in florida waters and a 18"-27" slot limit... BTW, I don't believe there is any commercial fishing done for red drum in florida anymore, so the 93% is probably close to a correct figure.... (someone please correct me if i'm wrong here) If anything, the recreational anglers and groups like the CCA have rescued the red drum population from darn near extinction....