New Prop for mercruiser 3.0 135hp alpha

I just recently added a wakeboard tower to my glastron gt 185. Looks nice and works really well, however pulling some peoples big butts outta the water is sometimes a problem. I have a mercruiser 3.0 alpha with 135hp and would like to know if anyone has this engine and has upgraded their prop with much success. I use the boat mainly for wakeboarding and wouldnt mind a top speed drop, because we mainly stay at about 22mph anyway.

Any new prop suggestions?
Heard about the mercrury high 5 prop which is specifically meant for wakeboarding...will upgrading from a 3 to 5 blade prop hurt the engine any?

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Prop for mercruiser 3.0 135hp alpha

I have not heard of running a high 5 on a 3.0, I would do a 15-17p though that should get you out of the water pretty quick.

would it be better to stay with a 3 blade prop or upgrade to a 4 blade??

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Go to the prop section and you will get lots more good advice.

I would go to a 4 blade or 5 blade in a heart beat, but you need to know your pitch and learn about pitch. I have both, but prefer my high 5 to my 4 blade aluminum, but you can get a hell of a good 4 blade aluminum solas amita right here on iboats for $100 bucks.

Thanks for your help guys! I will definitly check into which pitch is better for my application

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll want to first determine the pitch of the current prop and the engine RPM at wide open throttle. That will help you to determine how a pitch change will impact your performance. You probably have a 21" pitch prop and dropping to 19 will help with hole shot.

Going to a four blade will help keeping the boat on plane at lower speeds. As noted you can get a 4 blade AL prop for a very good price here on iboats.com. I recently picked up a Solax Rubex 4 blade and am quite happy with the performance.

Dave -

Did you have to buy a hub kit when you purchsed your Solax Rubex, or did it come with everything to put it on?

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I purchased here on iboats.com and the price listed included the hub kit (RBX-102) which you'll require. It also includes a thrust washer, aft space, nut and the nut tab washer.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a stingray 180rx with the same motor and i use my boat for the exact same thing and i recently bought a quicksilver 20p Al. 4 blade and it works great, i have 700lbs of ballast and i roll with 6 people all the time and fill up both bags. I lost about 4 mph on the top end and i can got WOT without over reving it. Now, hind sight, i may have gone with an 18p but the 20 is doing just fine. Only cost me $130 w/ the hub too

stimps

Cadet

We have at least 3 (+myself)people running high fives on 3.0l motors around here. It is a brilliant upgrade. 2 are on bayliner 175 and the other is a maxuum. I believe they are using either 19 or 21 pitch. On my fourwinns 170 I run a 23 pitch but have a 4.3 190hp engine. Stock was 23p on mine and the 23p high five is awesome, holeshot is excellent and pulls up boarders really easily. It also takes far less throttle manipulation to maintain the correct speed in the turns. I get 4600 rpm and 47mph on the gps fully fuelled with 2 adults so don't seemed to have lost any speed either. I tried a 4 blade MWC and it was good but the high five is better again. I expect a 21p would be better again for wakeboarding only but as it is used for everything it is pretty much perfect. Also lucky to have plenty of access to a Malibu Wakesetter VLX so it's not getting as much use as it should.:D