new prop for 20' toon

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i used a prop wizard and input my motor and boat model, which is a '82 50 hp merc, on a sweetwater 20' executive..
the prop suggestion from the wizard is 10-3/4 x 12
first, to clarify, is 10 3/4 the diameter and 12 the pitch?? or the other way around??

does this sound like a good prop to start with? the one one the boat is sluggish, and even at wide open throttle struggles to make rpms.. and when it does get some rpms, its only cause of cavitation..

thanks, and any personal suggestion for a prop would be appreciated..

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: new prop for 20' toon

10 3/4 diameter 12 pitch, that is correct. On my 19 foot boat, with the 79 OMC 50 HP I used a 13 then went to an 11 to keep the revs in the 5500+ range. The 12 sounds about right to me.

Start out trimmed way down and work it out until it slips, then bring it back down so it gets a good bite and that will be about where to trim it. If you don't have tilt and trim set the motor about level to start.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree. That sounds like a good prop to start with.

ram345

Recruit

i also agree with previous responders,my company sells these boats and i think your prop of choice will be an 11p,that motor is a very reliable piece and when running correctly it should be like a sewing machine .gl

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i also agree with previous responders,my company sells these boats and i think your prop of choice will be an 11p,that motor is a very reliable piece and when running correctly it should be like a sewing machine .gl

so should i look for a 10 3/4 X 11 prop instead of the 10 3/4 X 12? or 10 7/8X 11? i ask cause the prop calculater i used also suggested the 10 7/8 X 11.. also cause i cant find a 10 3/4 X 11..
thanks for the insight ram345

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can fudge maybe 1/2" on the diameter. If you have the old one, you can have it rebuilt for any diameter and pitch you want plus they can put the 'pontoon cup' on the blades. And the cost should be less than a new one.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can fudge maybe 1/2" on the diameter. If you have the old one, you can have it rebuilt for any diameter and pitch you want plus they can put the 'pontoon cup' on the blades. And the cost should be less than a new one.

really?? i ordered a 11p last night, a hustler h1011.. so i am gonna give it a whirl, but that is still very interesting... i may have the old one re-done like that too.. do you know of a service that you like, that i could ship my old prop to, to have that work done? thanks for the advice, i was looking for a 'pontoon' prop, but couldnt fine one that fit the bill..

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No, not up there. Check with your local marina. They will know of someone who rebuilds them. I have just moved to South Florida, but when I was in Central Florida, I just dropped them off at my marina and a shop would pick them up on a weekly basis and return them the following week. They could rebuild both aluminum and SS. On my current boat, after banging up a couple of aluminum props, I ordered a stainless one from the internet. My RPM's was too high so I had them rebuild my new stainless one with a higher pitch and put a pontoon cup on it. Cost me $85.

If you can't locate one up there, PM me and I'll give you the name and phone number of my mechanics in Fruitland Park Florida. (There's only one marina there, so you should be able to Google them.) I'm sure you could ship it to them or they will give you the name of the welding shop if the shop deals directly with private customers.