New PROBLEM

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the evinrude 1984 70 hp now idles great!!! However, ran it out today and did great WOT. However, after about 3 minutes, maybe more, it started losing power...seemed like it was bogging down. It would have cut out if I hadn't brought the lever back. Then when I tried to throttle down it would try to bog out again.

Cut her off and fished a while...started right back up and then I throttled down...did great...then after 2 minutes did the same thing...any clues...
Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New PROBLEM

is vent open on the fuel tank, pump can't get gas from a vacuum. air leak in fuel line. weak fuel pump. is it running hot, just because you have a good tale tell stream, does not mean the thermostat is opening and cooling the block. are you using an old fuel line from tank to motor. also check for blocked fuel filter. water in the fuel.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

using very old fuel line...no water in tank...can't tell if it is running hot...i will try new fuel line and cleaning fuel filter...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

using very old fuel line...no water in tank...can't tell if it is running hot...i will try new fuel line and cleaning fuel filter...

Make sure you are venting the tank as well.

freddyray21

Commander

a new fuel line and primer bulb are in order sounds like. Might be a bad check valve in it. Had the same problem with my 40 hp earlier this year. New line fixed it.