New problem after head gasket repacement

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
140 85' VRO Evinrude<br />Compression in 3 cylinders- 135-145<br />Top right -90-95<br />Water was entering top right cylinder so replaced head gasket and solved bogging down problem.<br />Has ran great for the past 5-10 hrs<br />On Friday 7/25 all of the sudden within 30 seconds of approaching my dock (after a days fishing for fluke -on/off engine stating) I noticed a different sound in the engine and she wouldn't go past 3000 rpm. At the time of the incident I was only traveling at 2000 rpms (boat can run 6200 rpm wot) Could it be that the head bolts have to be retorched? At dock, started engine with phug off and I felt pressure coming from cylinder and atomized gas. Plug looked fine to me (the way it was firing). Blown head? Will recheck compression. Check plug wires. Disconnected all wires at battery terminal and cleaned them off. Even removed Perko battery switch thinking there could be a short (connected to only 1 battery) Any thing else I should check? Even though running only at 3000 rpms it seems smooth but it does seam like its running on 3 cylinders , not 4. Won't start as easily up as it usually does. Thanks for your help guys!

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New problem after head gasket repacement

Moving to Johnson/Evinrude forum.

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just got back <br /><br />0 compression<br />Cylinder wall scored<br />Piston disintergrated all around top edge<br />ALL WITHIn 3 WEEKS AFTER Head Gasket replacement!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

punch it out, oversize pistons are made to wiegh the same as standard, no imbalance in the reciprocating mass<br /><br />while its getting the new piston, rebuild those carbs, could be a lean condition is starving that hole for fuel and more importantly oil<br /><br />opinions vary on VRO ... from what i have heard, I dont like what I hear and would mix it myself