New Presidential Rules :-)

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer
Recently someone mentioned something about the President's salary being only about $250K. Based on the responsibility, and the amount of overall expense he or she manages, its ridiculous. How can you expect to attract talent at such low wages? Lets face it, Kerry and Bush aren't exactly the cream of the crop...All you end up with are wealthy ego maniacs. Same thing in Canada, in fact our Prime Minister has more millions than Bush does. There has to be a way to draw the absolute best candidate from the US population, and that won't be accomplished by offering them $250K when they can make millions in the private sector...What I think they should do is this: Have a $250K base salary, and then 3 years into the term conduct a large survey sample and pay the President a bonus based on a performance satisfaction survey. 10% satisfaction=1 Million, 80% satisfaction=8 Million. This way perhaps there might be some real talent competing for the position of power. This might be particularly useful for the public with president in his 2nd term resting on his laurels. $250K is a joke. That probably gets spent everytime Airforce 1 gets fired up to go to Texas.<br /><br />Just a thought...<br />;-)

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Presidential Rules :)

It's not about the money! It's an ego and power thing.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

John Wayne once explained to a Republican committee that was trying to recruit him as a candidate that he couldn't afford the pay cut.<br /><br />On a more serious note, Ex-Presidents draw that salary as a pension for life. They also have government provided perks, staff and security for life.<br /><br />I think they are entitled to it. It seems to me that 4 years in the White House ages Presidents about 20 years.<br /><br />Raise their salary? How about adjusting it to inflation the way SS benefits are?

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Don't matter what they are currently getting as a total package, it is not enough for the job and the skills that should come with the man.<br /><br />For anyone that is self employed, $250K is not a big sum, plus you get some pretty good brakes on the tax man. <br /> <br />If you are making a net margin of say 25%, then your gross dosn't have to be too much over $1m, to make $250K, and that is not a lot.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

it's not the money that keeps the best/brightest<br />away from running IMO, it's having their personal<br />lives put under a microscope for the whole world<br />to see.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

As a representative republic we elect our officials to make good decisions based on the facts of the situation not popular ones based on which way the wind is blowing.....<br /><br />This is a model for why Clinton was so bad...

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Other countries may like having a leader that can be bought. We don't.

rogerwa

Commander

Is the president the highest paid member in the federal government?<br /><br />I know in MN the Governor, by state constitiution is the highest paid memeber of the state gov't. <br /><br />There has to be legistlator approval to circumvent that.<br /><br />If the president is not, who is the highest paid official??

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

MY,<br />You speak so truely! <br /><br />Let's face it, politics is about being connected, not about being the best or the brightest. Until there are serious restrictions on campaign contributions/spending, we don't stand a chance at getting an average Joe ;) in office. Even with very serious limits on campaign spending, I doubt the status quo of either party would allow a commoner in office. Character assasinations are just too easy to pull off.

18rabbit

Captain

The Pres pulls down about $1 million per term in salary, and tens of millions of $$$ after leaving office.<br /><br />Same for Senators. Every Senator is a millionaire…and will enjoy an incredible increase in wealth after leaving office. I was just reading a story about a study done on insider trading. Nearly every Senator’s portfolio outperforms the market by a substantial amount. Insider trading is suspected but can’t be proven due to reporting regulations.<br /><br />Roger – the Pres is the highest pay federal bureaucrat. A Gore appointed his campaign chairman to head up a new federal agency to distribute the funds collected from your phone bill (the controversial Universal Tax). His base salary was set close to $300k. It was almost immediately knocked down to just over $100k.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Unfortunately your idea is flawed cause to most presidents, 8 million is a drop in the bucket!<br /><br />Name the last poor president.... I can't think of one EVER!<br /><br />The guy gets a salary for life, medical insurance for life, all kids of perks, plus he can go on the lecture circuit. He needs no raise!<br /><br />I still like the one six year term idea. Dont have to worry about getting re-elected.<br /><br />Ken

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if we have ever had a president that was impoverished when he was elected but Andrew Jackson was of meager means if my memory serves me. Not poor but more middle class.<br /><br />We have had a few presidents that started out in life pretty humble but by their natural ambition were able to succeed in life pretty well.<br /><br />That's why I admire Collin (sp?) Powell and Wesley Clark. Both have come very far in life with little given to them. To me either one of those make better canidates for their respective parties than the two men currently in those positions.

crab bait

Captain

powell just mite be our 2nd black pres..<br /><br />clinton our first..<br /><br />see,, he plays sax, chases women, cheats on his wife, smokes pot, an has his office in harlem.. <br /><br />o'yeah an balances the budget an the best employment rate ever..

sloopy

Commander

So 250k is that a lot of money?!?!? If I were the president I would be happy with any salary they gave me.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That, I am afraid, is how politics is structured.<br /><br />Whether it be for congress, or the senate, or Pres, you have to question the basic judgement of anyone that would spend multi-millions of dollars just to land a low 6 figure job.