New pistol for carry

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I only bought one box of 50 when I got my first nine. Been rollin my own since then. Dad was a printer and when he retired I got a lifetime supply of boolet lead. I can probably last a couple more years until my primers run out. Hopefully they will be back on the shelves at only high prices, not obscene prices like today.

When they were legal I shot an AK with a 30 rounder. Kinda like Hickok45....LOL. After disposing of it and making the gun compliant as well, now I only load 5 at a time. Its still sorta fun, but at least now the neighbors don't get concerned...
Actually I was seriously interested in starting up a primer manufacturing company/business. Problem is, you can't get any information as to where to buy the machinery, the materials you need to make the priming solution and basically nothing. If a few people started up such businesses, the market prices would come down and availability would go up. And the people investing would make a mint selling just primers. But trying to find out anything is like finding hens teeth. The actual machinery really shouldn't be that complicated to build, and neither would the anvils that go inside the primer cup. But I have absolutely no clue to the primer mixture needed to make them. I guess those mixtures are very closely guarded secrets...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Actually I was seriously interested in starting up a primer manufacturing company/business. Problem is, you can't get any information as to where to buy the machinery, the materials you need to make the priming solution and basically nothing. If a few people started up such businesses, the market prices would come down and availability would go up. And the people investing would make a mint selling just primers. But trying to find out anything is like finding hens teeth. The actual machinery really shouldn't be that complicated to build, and neither would the anvils that go inside the primer cup. But I have absolutely no clue to the primer mixture needed to make them. I guess those mixtures are very closely guarded secrets...
Google the USPTO:

Patents are often made to protect some basic concepts, or to throw the competition off track, but not necessarily to safeguard current practice. The "good stuff" is often kept as a trade secret.

Looks like Fiocci primers may not be available in the US, based on their web site.

If you really want to be an entrepreneur, the best approach may be to partner with a foreign company and enlist their help to purchase equipment and set up a factory. My guess would be that you would be an instant success, but your capital costs may be too high to realize a profitable ROI.

Meames1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also have an LCP .380, that I carry the most with P ammo. It's so easy to carry with the size and all.
My other carry (colder months, easier to conceal) is my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Awesome gun and .45 hollow points have all the stopping power .
My favorite shooting pistol of everything I've owned is my Ruger P90 .45, the action is like mechanized harmony on that thing. Too bad it's heavy as heck and almost impossible to conceal, I almost never carry it.
Never owned a 9mm, but looking now. Maybe I can find something to fit in the middle. Looking at the Kimber Micro 9's.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I also have an LCP .380, that I carry the most with P ammo. It's so easy to carry with the size and all.
My other carry (colder months, easier to conceal) is my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Awesome gun and .45 hollow points have all the stopping power .
My favorite shooting pistol of everything I've owned is my Ruger P90 .45, the action is like mechanized harmony on that thing. Too bad it's heavy as heck and almost impossible to conceal, I almost never carry it.
Never owned a 9mm, but looking now. Maybe I can find something to fit in the middle. Looking at the Kimber Micro 9's.
My P90 is also one of my favorites. I agree about its performance. I DO often carry it, though. It's my open carry when I go for walks in the woods. Our cabin is in bear country...

swansonterry

Recruit
Let's put the question of carrying weapons in the context of a boating question.
I needed a tow vehicle to transport my new 26' cruiser, but my garage is only 12 feet deep.
What would you suggest?
With a.380, stopping power requires +P loads, which most smaller pistols can't handle.
Concealment, on the other hand, is dependent on what you're wearing at the time. more
If you leave the house every day in shorts and a tee shirt, even an inside the belt holster won't work.
Everything is a compromise.
Some subcompacts have the punch, but they're difficult to shoot and uncomfortable to practise with.
My first backup gun was a mod 37 S&W airweight from the turn of the century, but the alloy frame meant no hot loads, so it became my wife's purse gun.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Let's put the question of carrying weapons in the context of a boating question.
I needed a tow vehicle to transport my new 26' cruiser, but my garage is only 12 feet deep.
What would you suggest?
With a.380, stopping power requires +P loads, which most smaller pistols can't handle.
Concealment, on the other hand, is dependent on what you're wearing at the time. more
If you leave the house every day in shorts and a tee shirt, even an inside the belt holster won't work.
Everything is a compromise.
Some subcompacts have the punch, but they're difficult to shoot and uncomfortable to practise with.
My first backup gun was a mod 37 S&W airweight from the turn of the century, but the alloy frame meant no hot loads, so it became my wife's purse gun.
Surely, every thing is a compromise.

I don't personally compromise. My garage is 44' long, it contains 3 boats and 2 cars, plus I can park the boat while attached to the car so I'm ready for boating tomorrow.

If your garage is truly 12' long, and thus will only handle a lawn tractor, either sell the boat or park the towcar in the driveway.

A .38 Spl is in fact a .357 Short. Likewise, a .380 is a 9 MM Luger (Parabellum)short. The German terminology is 9 MM Kurtz. Loads made for PP are quite potent.

My personal, carry is a Ruger LCPII. The LCP Max is a good alternative. Fits nicely in my Bermuda shorts pocket, or even my bathing suit pocket, as long as I don't forget and jump in....LOL. It may not be +P compliant, but those Hornady SD loads are more potent than I'd ever need...

dwco5051

Commander
My Mod 37 from the 70's met the same fate. Since our duty weapons were 38 spl it was nice to use the same ammo. A few years before the switch to 40s they switched to 110gr +p and officially stopped qualifying back up weapons.

southkogs

Staff member
With the right skipper, even a dinghy can make it across the ocean.

Even a .22 can make a decent carry gun for the guy who knows how to shoot.

swansonterry

Recruit
Even a dinghy can cross the ocean with the proper skipper.

For the man who knows more how to shoot, even a.22 can make a good carry pistol.

jeb6294

Seaman Apprentice
I like my Taurus G3C. Doesn't feel too small to shoot comfortably. Now that they finally reopened the range ~3 miles from our house, I need to start picking up more 9mm.

Liked the G3C enough that I also got a TX22 for cheap shooting.