new owner - rebuilt 115 "tower of power" questions

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tomorrow, I pick up my 19 foot Manatee with the rebuilt 115 installed, "turnkey".<br />I bought the boat last week with a vintage 70 hp merc. After 4 hours on the water Sunday, I knew it was a dog.<br /><br />I have every confidence in the power of the 115 and the shop that rebuilt it. My questions... <br /><br />1) what are the bug a boos I may need to be aware of with this engine?<br /><br />2)The engine is a mid 70s. Can I get parts to retro fit power trim and lift onto this motor?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: new owner - rebuilt 115 "tower of power" questions

I have a 1970 1250 on my 16.5 footer, and it runs fantastic. The only thing I don't like is the lack of tilt and trim, but you can put an aftermarket tilt/trim setup on for something like $500, and the motor gets a half a foot set back as well. The only thing I can say is the merc inline sixes cruise well from about 3100 rpms on up, below that they seem to lack, but you slam that throttle while at 3100, the boat speeds up NOW. I also get my best economy at around 3100 rpms, and that was with both Merc i have owned...

k9ez

Recruit
Re: new owner - rebuilt 115 "tower of power" questions

I have a 1972 115, and love it! A few things that have been brought to my attention.....<br /><br />They are hard starters when cold (just starting out). Make sure the primer is pumped until hard, and keep a-crankin' the engine.<br /><br />Make sure that that you do not have the engine tilted up when starting cold, as fuel seems to come out of the carbs when tilted up.<br /><br />De-carb the engine at least once per year.<br /><br />Though others insist on premium fuel, I have been running 87 octang without trouble. I do use quality fuel however.<br /><br />Have fun!