New owner: 1720 Pro Key West

jm_bullard

Seaman
I just bought a 1999 1720 a couple of days ago. I am in the process of "customizing" it to my specifications. I mounted a pedestal seat in the back. However, the front deck is composed of a hatch cover. Has anyone here ever mounted a pedestal seat on a hatch? The hatch is pretty thick, and I think that a piece of treated plywood backer plate will support the seat. Any ideas or other options? Thanks for any suggestions. I can't wait to get her on the water!

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New owner: 1720 Pro Key West

it's probably a hinged hatch...the hinges will be the weak link...if you proceed - I wouldn't use the seat when underway - only when sitting still :cool:

jm_bullard

Seaman
Re: New owner: 1720 Pro Key West

Yes, it is a hinged lid. I installed the seat yesterday. I used a 10 inch round swivel base that mounts on top of the deck; no drilling a big hole in the lid (just screw holes). I used a 12'X12" pressure-treated plywood backer plate. The seat seems very sturdy, with no wobble or (most importantly) no flexing of the lid.

The seat will only be used for fishing, and never when the big motor is running.