New or rebuild

Cortes165

Seaman
What am I to do???? <br />My '91 Evi 100hp needs to be rebuilt. Block and crank are ok. <br />Here are a few options.<br /><br />Behind door #1.....get engine rebuilt by a dealer using OMC parts for $2500. <br /><br />Door #2.....rebuild myself. Can buy all Sierra parts for $700.<br /><br />Door #3.....trade in my old engine along with $7000 and get a new 2002 Johnson 90hp.<br /><br />Option 1 and 3 are from the dealer that rebuilt the engine last year. You can see what kind of warranty I'm getting.<br /><br />I have built car and sled engines but never an outboard. I did not dismantle the motor which is in many pieces so it would be like putting a puzzle together without the picture.

Jermyn

Cadet
Re: New or rebuild

If you're like me, Option 3 is no option at all. Besides that, I don't know if I would trust that dealer anyway since the warranty you got seems like a real snow job. <br /><br />I've rebuilt cars, tillers, go-carts, mopeds, motorcycles. How much different could it really be? Seems it would be easier to buy the parts and the OMC service manual and have a go at-er. Especially since Option 3 has 3 zeros and Option 2 has only two!!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets see -- he rebuilt it a year ago and now he wants to do it again. Why? For practice? Seems as though youre paying for someones edcuation.<br /><br />Why does it need rebuilt this time? Why last time?<br /><br />2500 for a V4 is over 600 per cylinder. What are you getting for 600 a hole?<br /><br />Where did he get a NEW 2002 90 hp? He's had it in stock for 4 years? I'd have to see a new warranty in writing from BRP, not some aftermarket company. And 7K? Whats a new one from iboats?

Cortes165

Seaman

Dhadley, you have read my post on the engine failure. You actually added some good comments that the dealer still cannot answer, (sorry, he will not put on paper).<br />The rebuild is the topend. The crank and crank brgs are ok. <br />So the parts needed are pistons, brgs, gaskets and most important the block prep (proper bore size).<br />Like I said the engine is in pieces right now. One concern I have is matching the conrod parts up. (hopefully they are marked). Also the conrod brgs are ok except they are no longer in pairs and I have no idea which hole they were in. (can you figure this out or just buy new ones?)<br /><br />And yes this 90hp is a new leftover. I'm not going that route, but he wanted to offer it to me.<br /><br />On iboats in the parts section, I found vendors that sell rebuilt powerheads. What are these vendors like? How do I get warranty 2000 miles away? Price on here is $1500 (sounds real good). But once you add shipping, duty exchange, etc, etc, it adds up to $3500. If I could purchase for $1500, I would already have it installed on the boat.<br /><br />I have the tools and shop to work in, so I would like to try rebuilding. I'm sure there will be questions along the way. The worst thing is I did not dismantle so I don't have any reference to reassemble. You know when you're all done and there's those 2 bolts lying on the bench.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

$7000 plus your old engine seems a little high to me for a 2002 90 HP. Would you trust that dealer to rebuild again considering his last work lasted one year? Take a look on the iboat forum for used/rebuild engines. You may find something that appeals to your wallet.<br />Stalker

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What was your origanil thread? Sorry, my memory is shot....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Got it! I remember now.<br /><br />Dont worry about the warranty on the iboats suppliers. I know at least one personally and they send powerheads all over the world.<br /><br />The other option is to send the powerhead and dressing to someone like Mar Fab or Flagship. It'll come back ready to install.<br /><br />Outboard Rebore in Canada can do the same thing I'm sure (although not positive).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The rods are what they call "cracked rods". The cap only fits one body, one way. There are small raised dots that show which side but nothing showing which body. <br /><br />The rod bearings can be mixed up. They are not produced in sets.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You can also buy a rebuilt from an engine rebuilder. <br /><br />Mine came with a 1 year same as factory warrentee. Plus the peace of mind knowing the motor was done by an outfit that specializes in only rebuilding outboards. <br /><br />With a rebuilder there is a big advantage over the local marina or shop because they invest in machine equipment the dealer and shop can't afford. Also the entire outboard is addressed not just the block: When the unit comes in, the full o/b is dissassembled and checked. Broken/junk parts go to the recycle bin. Rebuildable parts like starter are sent out. The block gets boiled, carbs get sonic cleaning and rebuilt and go to stock room, housings cleaned, repaired and off to stock room, wire harness, flywheel, linkage, etc off to stock room. Lower unit is inspected. Broken/worn pieces are replaced and new seals installed, the block bored with a torq plate installed, honed and reassembled, rebuilt carbs pulled from stock, the engine and l/u are rejoined, on goes a clean wire harness from stock, rebuilt starter from stock, linkage and flywheel from stock. Then off to the paint shop where clean housings are installed, torn/missing cover seals are replaced, whole unit is painted, new decals, then to the test tank where it is test run. When it passes inspection, it goes into inventory.<br /><br />The rebuilder I used does hundreds of motor every year, mostly supplying dealers with repower motors. <br /><br />Not all the parts on my motor are the same parts that came in with the model/serial number. But they are the correct part. The model indicates it is a 1993 40 hp Evinrude. But I know that the flywheel and starter are from later year motor (date stamp) and some other part I was able to identify being from a later model year. But the parts are all physically the correct pieces for that motor. And the lower unit did not have even a scratch on the skeg. Probably had been straightened, filled or new sceg welded on. Who knows, but I doubt that a 12 year old motor would have a spotless lower unit and motor housings. That too is a plus you won't get from the local marina. <br /><br />I did have to go through factory break in routine. It has performed all last year without any problems other than needing the throttle linkage adjusted right away.<br /><br />In fall of 2003 I paid $2100 for the motor. Used control box, prop, vro tanks and shipping/tax brought it to $2400. <br /><br />I think it's worth looking into.