New O/B Too Heavt??

Cape Coder

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 15ft Boston Whaler w/ a 1987 60HP Merc. I went down to the local marine store to see what my option were for a repower and the salesman told me that all the new 2 & 4 strokes were, "too heavy for my boat." He said my best bet would be to upgrade boat & motor. Is this true? I would think the 2 strokes nowadays would be lighter now than in 1987. :confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New O/B Too Heavt??

go to another dealer. he's just trying to make a buck.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea hes trying to get your money but he is right the new 2 and 4 strokes are heaver then the old stuff for example a merc verado weighs in at 527 pounds a new 2 stroke etec weighs in at 427 pounds and a old carberated 2 stroke johnson/evinrude weighs in at 370 pounds all the weights were at 150 HP

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The etec 60 weighs about 240 lbs.your merc about 185.I don't think 55 lbs is out of the question. The Etec 50 hp version W a 13 7/8 X 17 ss prop pushes a 700 lb. 16 ft Carolina skiff at over 33 mph.at 5,400 rpm with 18 gallons of fuel and about 300 lb load.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wish salesman wouldn't lie like that.:mad:

Your boat is rated for 70HP, max, but several current 70s weigh over 300lb. I wouldn't put over 300lb on that transom.

Outstanding power for a classic Boston Whaler 15 is an OMC/BRP 60/70 triple looper 2 stroke, at about 250lb. An etec 60 or a Suzuki DF50 would be excellent.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

when his Boston Whaler was build it was designed for the light weight carb 2 strokes and they were probably thinking that outboards would only get lighter in the future but instead the complete opposite happened and now when people re power with new motors and have older boats alot of them have planning troubles.but alot of boats have max transom weight along with max HP ratings so you can take a old 2 stroke and go over the max HP and still be under the max transom weight.but of corse you should never ever do that.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1985 15ft Boston Whaler w/ a 1987 60HP Merc. I went down to the local marine store to see what my option were for a repower and the salesman told me that all the new 2 & 4 strokes were, "too heavy for my boat." He said my best bet would be to upgrade boat & motor. Is this true? I would think the 2 strokes nowadays would be lighter now than in 1987. :confused:

Sales guy is full of s***
Watch the weight but no reason to upgrade the boat. (unless you secretly want to and can use this as an excuse to the significant other) !!!!! LOL

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Read the Boston Whaler web site.......

They now list max hp AND max weight of the outboard on the specs. Quite a few boats are now doing this since the newer 4 stroke technology has gained weight.

The internet has given the consumer the ability to become more educated with facts and doing the homework is a great idea.

Cape Coder

Seaman Apprentice

I just went on boston whaler.com where was do I find the info