New motor on boat

JeffB

Recruit
I have a 1988 Lowe 141, 14' alum. boat. The boat is rated for a 25hp motor. I had a 1989 Johnson 15hp motor (weight?). I am in the process of mounting a 1999 Mercury 25hp 4 stroke Big Foot (175 lbs. dry). Since the 25hp is SO much bigger than the 15hp, do I need to be concerned about the size and weight and my transom? The transom does NOT flex with the motor mounted on it, however, the mounting bracket it about 3 inches longer (vertically) than the wooden support across my transom.<br /><br />Thanks for any help/suggestions,<br />Jeff

philiplutz

Cadet
Re: New motor on boat

Your boat will handle this hoss of an motor but you will have to do some mods forst you will have to remove the undersize board i used west system and some bolts then 45 degree cut some salt 2x4's and run the from the top edge of your jon boat to the edges of your seat closest to the hull. I did the same exact thing i got an 25 honda for my jon boat i replaced the back board to accomidate the wider mounts everything fine untill an couple of weeks running the force from the heavy engine and the propulsion was starting to cave in the transom of the boat the 2x4's are to disperse the load from the engine. looks somewhat riduculous but works

JeffB

Recruit
Re: New motor on boat

Thanks for the advice and response. Since I posted that message Lowe had also returned a request for information on the boat and said that the transom would have to be reinforced. With all that in mind, I went back to the dealer and traded the 4-stroke for a 2 stroke. No mods required and the boat runs great with ther new motor.<br /><br />Thanks, Jeff