new merc's

johnntab

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the market for my first new bass boat. One of the candidates is a Nitro NX 750. The dealer has a few engine options from Mercury. Could someone explain what the difference is between the ELPTO, the ELPT FourStroke, and the Optimax. I have found the Optimax to be about 2,000 more expensive. Are the benefits of Optimax worth this 2,000 up front cost?<br />Thanks in advance for your help<br />John

D

DJ

Re: new merc's

bass man,<br /><br />Optimax is a Direct injected (fuel) outboard. They operate very closely, if not better than a four stroke engine as far as emissions go.<br /><br />They are complicated and are, generally, not a do it yourselfer type of engine.<br /><br />The power is smooth, the fuel economy great, but that comes with a price tag.<br /><br />I understand that you are going from a small boat to a big bass rig. This may be beyond what you are looking for, for now. Don't know, just asking.<br /><br />The Optimax will burn 1/3 the fuel at idle of a regular two stroke. Probably 3/4 at wide open throttle. Is that worth $2K to you.<br /><br />Don't know. Let us know what you decide.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

ELPTO 2 cycle motor<br />Electric start<br />Long shaft (20 inches)<br />Power<br />Trim<br />Oil injected<br /><br />ELPT Fourstroke engine<br />Electric<br />Long shaft<br />Power <br />Trim

johnntab

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the explanation guys, I think I am going with the less expensive ELPTO at least until I get some experience with boats of this size. <br />John

jerseyguy

Recruit

18 months ago I had to make the same type of decision. I had and still have a Wellcraft V20. The existing motor was a 1985 150 HP merc with carbs. I really liked the boat and decuded to repower.<br /><br />Asked my local service technician what he would do. Fisrt thing he said was buy from a large discounter as he could not get one from the factory at less cost then I could buy retail from them. He then suggested going with an Optimax.<br /><br />I took his advice and have had the motor for 2 summers now. It starts and runs like a clock, great fuel economy (range is very important going offshore). Try Alomars in DE for a great price.

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

bass man, <br />Since the max hp is 135 on this boat, I assume you're considering either the 115 or 125 2-stroke which are very similar. Only difference is carbs & jets, so I understand. I have owned two of the 115's, a 2002 and a 2003. There are a few issues you may want to consider.<br />1.The engine idles on 2 cylinders until it reaches approx 1800 Rpm's (carbs 3&4 don't have idle jets). The transition to four cylinders is usually good but sometimes when coming off plane to an idle the engine runs rough. It is best to keep the engine above idle but under 1800 for a few seconds until all the gas is used up in the bottom two cylinders. It can get kind of hairy when you're loading your boat on the trailer and you only lack a few inches. You give it a little more gas and the two bottom carbs/cylinders kick in. It pays to have it lined up good when this happens.<br />2. Both of my 115's wouldn't idle worth a darn unless the cowl/engine was almost completely level.<br />3. If your particular boat/motor/trailer setup requires you to tilt the motor to a rather extreme angle for transport, the carburetors will purge with the gas/oil mix running all over your transom well. The gas evaporates, the oil does not.<br />4. If you're lucky and the gasket between the attenuator plate and cover (air box) is in place and not leaking, it will catch the purged gas until the next time you're out and throttle up. The gas, ( mostly oil since gas evaporates) will be sucked into the bottom carburetor and burned up after it spits, sputters and hesitates for a while. The colder it gets, the worse it is. My '03 was better about this than my '02. Otherwise I feel they are solid dependable engines. Aside from the things mentioned, I've had zero mechanical problems. Don't get me wrong, I think Mercury makes a fine engine, I just didn't buy the right one. My experience.<br />JD

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

JD- I have a 97 Mariner 125 that exhibits all of the same quirks as you are describing. I have owned the boat for 2 years and at first thought that the engine was in serious need of a tune-up. However, by the end of the first summer I had talked to enough people and checked out enough forums to realize that this is just the temperment of this particular Merc design. Now that I am used to it, I love the motor. The fuel economy is better that I expected, The motor works great for trolling when running on two cyls. a low rpm's, and it sure will plant your rear to the seat when the other two carbs kick in. I think the design works well for it's intended use as an all-purpose motor, I just feel that the design was not well explained by Mercury or the dealerships that sell them. What is everyone else's view of the 2+2 motors?

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

quantumleap,<br />I agree with you on power, almost like a four-barreled carburetor cutting in on a car engine and also that the dealer never told me about the 2+2 aspect of the engine on the'02 boat. I was well informed from personal experience when I later bought the used '03 rig. I fish year round and a lot of times in freezing temperatures. I suppose I was the ideal candidate for a 4-stroke/EFI. I got one and wouldn't go back. Starts first time, every time, no oil, no smoke, no noise, idles as smooth right off the trailer as it does after being warmed up.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

JD- I hate to open up a can of worms, but what is your personal opinion on using full synthetic in these motors to cut down on smoke?

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

quantumleap <br />Not to give you a short answer but I've never used synthetic in a 2-stroke and never researched it. I don't have an opinion, I just don't know.

montanaman

Seaman Apprentice

BASS MAN, <br />I recently had a similar dilema, I decided on the 150 OPTIMAX over the 150 XR6 that was mounted on the boat I had decided on. The first time I turned the key and rolled on the throttle I knew that I had made the right decision. I have owned carburated two strokes in the past and there is no comparison. You will recoup the money spent in fuel and oil and your resale will be higher. I wouldn't buy a new vehicle with a carburator so why would I buy a new boat with one. Just my opinion.

johnntab

Seaman Apprentice

well after reading these posts, you have reinstated my dilemma. The optimax is awfully tempting because I don't have to deal with the carbs and their temperamental nature. The price is the big disadvantage. If it is 60% more fuel efficient at idle and 25% at WOT how, it is still gonna take me a while to recover in fuel savings the 2000 bucks I have to pay up front for the engine upgrade. I think I will inquire about the monthly payments with both before making my new decision. Thanks again

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bassman,<br />You have to add in aggrevation and oil too.<br />I like Mercs, but I hate the 2+2's. Never owned one, but test drove one...Hated it.<br /><br />You can really get a good deal on the the Optimax 135 given the popularity of 4-strokes, it's supposed to be an awesome engine.<br /><br />I pesronally had the same decision at the 200 HP class, I went with the Merc EFI. THis is a great engine. I don't run far enough to justify the price between EFI and DFI