New Merc 3.0 ran hot - help

Gary Graycar

Cadet
On my maiden voyage, my 05 Merc 3.0 ib/ob immediately ran hot. Called dealer - said probably bad gauge and run till alarm goes off. Temp got up close to 250 at which time I started detecting pinging (detonation) in the motor. When stopping temp would go down to 200 and start to rise. Trailered and took boat back to dealer. Yep - it was the therostat. Dealer also did compression check and was even across the board. Oh yea, no alarm on my setup.<br />Question is - might there be some internal damage or are these 3.0's up to handling 250 degrees for a few minutes. Thanks

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Merc 3.0 ran hot - help

Why the heck is there no horn???<br />At this point I would be so P'd off!<br /><br />Make darn certain Mercruiser has a warranty claim filed on this engine. That way if you have problems later on you can show that you tried to get it fixed when the problem occured. <br /><br />Next I would call Customer support: (405) 743-6566<br />Make sure you have your engine serial number and file a complaint. The more documantation they have about your issue, the more likely they'll help you out later down the line.<br /><br />After that I would be finding a new dealer to service my boat... "run it till it the alarm goes off" !!! BS !! I'd be sending letters to everyone but my congressman.

nailbender

Recruit

I,m new here, but I have some experience with automotive engines that have run hot.<br />How long was it a 250 degrees?<br />If not more than a few minutes it may be ok. If it ran that hot at full power that may be another story.<br />How long is the warranty on the motor?<br />If it were mine I would put pressure on the dealer to document this, which they should have on the repair order and then get them to give you an extended factory warrany on the motor beyond what the factory puts on.<br />I would make it very clear that if this thing lets go you will be on their tails!!<br /><br />With all of that said I would use the thing as much as possible and not baby it either, so if something is going to go it goes under warranty.<br /><br />I've dealt with factory warranty business for years. They dont understand you unless you make it clear what you want and that you are willing to get it.<br />If the dealer gives you no satisfaction do not be afraid to call the boat maker and powertrain maker as well.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

PS... Sorry about the "rant" <br /><br />There may be some damage. Mercruiser isn't going to do much unless a problem manifests itself.<br /><br />I would try to get the cylinder head pulled and checked for warp. And obviously a new gasket. You'll be lucky if your dealer will foot the bill for it, even though they should. <br /><br />There should have been a dealership employee with you for your maiden voyage. It's part of the "pre-delivery" process. A quality dealer would have wanted to show you everything about your new boat, and to also make certain it was in working order.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That dealer acted incredibly irresponsible to say the least. If this bad advice did not come from the owner, I would make sure that he is made aware of it right away.....by registered letter. Since this is a new boat, any damage that might have occured, will be under warranty.

Gary Graycar

Cadet

All the above info was fully noted and acted on. I have full documentation from the dealer and Mercruiser that the potential problem is recognized and that any problem will treated with full Mercury backing.<br />The engine was water tested by a Merc rep and there is no sign of damage. Compression is good and the engine is strong.<br />I had 93 octane in which probably protected the engine from detonation problems. It only ran hot at mid rpm for a few minutes.<br />Thanks Guys

Bondo

Staff member

Good Luck with it,.....<br /><br />Amazing Story.....