New member with boat brand questions

Milkmaster

Cadet
I am about to dive off the deep end and buy a boat to teach my three kids to ski and have fun. Please bear with me while I share a little background...

I want a 17'-19' foot open bow boat that will fit in my garage. I really want it to have the 4.3L V6 as opposed to the 3.0L I4. My price range dictates something in the 10-14 year old category. I have found a few nicely kept boats for sale in brands like Glastron, Baja, SeaRay, Rinker, Regal, and tons of Bayliners. I discount the Bayliners just because I think they look cheap. I don't know how to categorize the rest of them as to which are considered the better boats and which are economy brands. Because of the age, I also wonder if it has changed over time since the mid 90's models I seem to be finding in my price range. I also question that the entry level boat size I am looking for makes all of the brands listed very similar in quality and less about brand differences.

My research tells me that an all fiberglass model is not possible in those years, and that I will end up with wood stringers and transom covered in the fiberglass. Am I right about this in models say from 93-96?

I have found a 1993 Baja Islander 180 that has been really kept nice and in the garage when not in the water. My problem is that I do not know what class of boat Baja would fall into when comparing to other brands.

So I need some help from you older and younger sailors out there to give me some educated opinions to help sort and categorize my used boat findings.

Any help is appreciated.
Milkmaster

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New member with boat brand questions

Bayliner is a good brand. Something to consider is that allot of boat manufactures make a cheap boat in one name/brand and then they make a top of the line in the same name/brand boat. I have a 1977 Challenger Bass boat, not the top of the line model. I went to a boat repair place and the owner had a Challenger within the same year as mine but his was top of the line. Just like cars and trucks you have the cheap ones then you have the more expensive ones. There was a boat quoted as unsinkable, but I can't recall the name brand of it. Baja and Baylineris are not a bad brand in my opinion.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tough call. For old used boats I wouldn't worry about catagorizing any of them. Consider them all the same. Boats are named, and refered to in the femine declension and that's very befitting, especially for used boats. Some look good on the outside, but... some are great all around but... Some a specifically good at something but..... Some are not made that way anymore but... and some just loose their flair all together. Finding the right woman and boat are two very difficult challenges. You may find a perfect Bayliner and a POS go-fast custom painted Donzi with problems for the same price. Your Choice.
Most of this is "old hat" stuff, but here it goes. "One man's trash is another man's treasure." (like wives?) OK, I'm a sexist!
Mfg's were/are in the business to make money, not necessarilly by selling great boats, build and ship'm fast, especially the small family boats.
IMHO ,how the PO's maintained and cared for the boat is most important. Then the structural and mechanical integrity of the vessel. Cosmetics are cheap, but that's what seems to influence 1st time buyer most, like painted women.
Brands of 10+ year old's and small crafts are all pretty much at the same level and condition today, hence the prices are all about the same. They are all built about the same. But by now, they've been rebuilt, repaired, upgraded, abused, forgotten, loved and some are very well maintained and a great value. Some are much better then new. Find one you like and do some research on how to check out a boat's, sole, transom, engine, etc. and do a seatrail or get a survey. Check all records of the vessel. Some boat sellers are much like horse traders, buyer beware. Hope you find the one that's "for you". Let us know.
WELCOME to iBoats .

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Milkmaster,

I just IM'd you...

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would stay away from the bayliner, not because they are bad boats, but like you state they look cheap and many people (me included) are bias against them.

I would also stay away from from the baja, since these are typically bought as performance boats and are "driven" hard. The exception would be if I new the previous owner and knew he didn't run it at or near wide open throttle all the time.

I would concentrate on the Rinker, Regal and Searay (in that order), although Glastron makes a nice entry boat. You will likey want at least the 4.3 L and would probably love one with the 5.0 L engine.

I own a Crownline, which (of course) I consider a good used boat. They tend to be very competitive in the size you're looking at, but stay away from pre 96 models, since they did not start using marine grade plywood until 96.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would suggest to go as big as you can afford, that is still in your price range, you will never regret going a 19' over a 16 or 17' never. Probably won't find an all fiberglass boat in that vintage but maybe. Don't be shy when looking ask all kinds of questions, look at every nook and cranny, poke around, etc. Do your homework and know exactly what to look for and what to run from. A v-6 is nice but one with 700 hours on it, might be getting tired and lacking the pop it once had. If you do find something you are serious about get a serveyor or at least a good marine mechanic to look it over. 3 or 4 hundred now could save ten times that some months from now. Lastly boating is and has never been cheap on the fuel end of things if you find something that you like that has a V-8 in it and it checks out I'd say go for it. More power in a boat is NEVER a bad thing. Just my .02

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

if you are that closed minded why bother to ask? if you'r buying used you need to look at condition and not brand. look at the boat section and you will see bayliner posts out number all others. bay liner is still in busness and giving owener support. i just got help for 37 yr old bayline

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not to pile on the anti-Bayliner stuff.....but Jax, almost no one would call Bayliner runabouts from the 90's "quality boats" when compared to most brands. Could one find a well-maintained bayliner from that time? Of course. But let's not confuse the questioner with VERY biased info.

That said, it will be far more about how it's been kept than the brand. However, your Cobalt, Wellcraft, Crownline may likely have upholstery that was better quality and have decent cushions, etc after 12+ years. They may have held up better in other areas also. You need to look carefully is all.

Garage kept is a good start!