New member - looking for opinions on a grew 5.7 that had a seized engine

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello i am a new member, and looking for a little advise. I have owned and worked on a few seadoo's but i am looking at buying my first boat. Its a 1988 (+/-) Grew 215 with a merc 5.7. The boat sat for roughly 5 years and the owner sold it to a guy i know. When he got it the engine was stuck from sitting so long. He took his time and got the engine free with pb blaster and seems to run fine on the hose. He has not water tested it yet but "if" the boat works smooth on the water with no problems, how much would you be able to trust the engine? Apparently the engine had very low hours on a rebuild before the boat was layed up. The boat also seems to be partialy closed loop cooling. The boat was tarped but was close to the coast (salt air) but shows little to no signs of corrosion on the boat or galvanized trailer. The outdrive had a small amount of play in the bushings. I can get the boat and trailer for somewhere's between $1000-1500, and has a new starter coming for it which he said cost $300. I am fairly mechanically incline but powerboats are new to me. I guess i'm wondering how to tell if the engine could be trusted or does this usually always end with a new rebuild?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: New member - looking for opinions on a grew 5.7 that had a seized engine

Welcome to iBoats . . .

The amount you will be paying is not a big issue, better to focus on the money that you may have to put into the boat once you buy it.

You can run a compression test on the engine and a cylinder leak test. That may give you a better idea on if there is valve or piston issues.

You should also take a good look at the boat to see if the structure has any issues. Both the engine and the hull structure could get you into big money if there are issues.

You'll have to assume that some damage has been done to the rings/cylinders as a result of the seized (rusted :eek: ) condition. This damage may not show now, and the engine will run. A compression check will give some indication of how badly the cylinders may be scored. There may also be some oil consumption issues - check for oily exhaust smoke. Only way to tell for sure is to pull the heads :(

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hull sounds very thick when you knock on the side of it, and the deck is either fiberglass or plastic with no carpet. So hardly any wood to worry about. i have a compression tester that i will use on it. what psi numbers am i looking for? Also say the engine is junk, how easy is it to find a reman for the 260 carb? Do they still do carb reman 260s? and can the average joe change one out with basic tools and knowledge with a heist?

Re compression - around 150 or more would be good (IMHO) but lower is ok. Minimum would be 100, but that would indicate a very worn/damaged engine. Maybe more important is the range of numbers. The lowest # should not be less than 70% of the highest # ( example. If highest cylinder is 150, then lowest should not be less than 105 )- but if the #'s are that far off then a rebuild is indicated :(
Ideally the range should be no more than 15% - eg 150/128

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Re compression - around 150 or more would be good (IMHO) but lower is ok. Minimum would be 100, but that would indicate a very worn/damaged engine. Maybe more important is the range of numbers. The lowest # should not be less than 70% of the highest # ( example. If highest cylinder is 150, then lowest should not be less than 105 )- but if the #'s are that far off then a rebuild is indicated :(
Ideally the range should be no more than 15% - eg 150/128

ok sounds good. The compression checks out between 138 to 142 apparently, but the starter is shot now and he want to sell it as is now. Its still a gamble for sure

Ok so engine may be good, but it is a gamble as you can't take it for a test ride now :(
Lots of red flags here! Boat costs add up fast especially on older boats (experience speaking here !) - you fix one thing, and something else goes wrong!
If you can't afford to take a $1000.00 gamble - walk away.