New lower end lube after each outing?

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1964 Evinrude 5.5 hp Fisherman and it runs like a Swiss watch. The problem is that everytime I take it out it gets water in the lower unit. Our local pro told me that as long as I change out lube each time that it should run forever. Is there any truth to this? He also said that by trying to re-seal I could cause irrepairable damage rendering the motor useless. All input is appreciated.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: New lower end lube after each outing?

Every time you change the lube are you using new gaskets on the drain and vent plugs? Could be the source of the water getting in.
I don't see how it could get destroyed changing seals.
Have a pressure test done on it..

cbavier

Lieutenant

I'll bet the seals for the vent and drain plugs are missing. Just my .02

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I would pressure/vacuum test the LU, and ID the source if the leak. Once you ID the leak, you can replace that seal or all. Before you tear into it, however, make sure you obtain the seals first to make sure they're still available and easy to get. As mentioned, the drain/vent plug washers may be the easy source of the leak.

MAS

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

LU seal kits are still available for that motor. That's one option, the other is changing the lube every time, another option is filling the LU with Lubriplate 105 non-displacment grease instead of marine hypoid oil. That was the lube of choice on outboards before seals made of high-tech material were available. I'll probaby get kicked for recommending that, but that's how it was done back in the day.

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the input. All of you are very helpful and it is much appreciated!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

another option is filling the LU with Lubriplate 105 non-displacment grease instead of marine hypoid oil. That was the lube of choice on outboards before seals made of high-tech material were available.

I'll probaby get kicked for recommending that, but that's how it was done back in the day.

105 grease was only used in non-shifting lower units if I remember correctly.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you are getting water in it every time out, you have a signicant leak, more than just drain plug washers. Sooner or later you are going to get tired of changing it and fix it. Might as well do it now.

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the input.....I'd be willing to bet you all could fix the economy!