New life for my Evinrude 100

Cortes165

Seaman
I'll try to keep this short........I have to share the good news, since I learned a lot and got some great advise from people on here. :D <br /><br />A quick history.....Last year I bought a '91 boat with a rebuilt motor. After only 20 hours, the motor blew (seized all 4 pistons). Dealer would not warranty anything. :rolleyes: <br />I still don't have a cause for the failure but found lots of little things that contributed.<br />Cylinders were undersize .003<br />VRO was never checked over (or changed)<br />Water passages were all crusty (block and head)<br />Thermostats were 12 years old<br />Cooling hoses were half blocked with silicone.<br /><br />Well after many moons of cleaning and inspecting, she is back together. Only other real difference, is I'm premixing instead of relying on the VRO. I can always install a new pump later. So far, I have burned app 25 gallons of fuel (about 10 hours) and it has never run this good before. It's like a different boat. It leaps out of the water and is on plane in seconds. I love it.<br /><br />OK, only one question for you experts.<br />Now that I have a few hours, is it safe to run across the lake at 5500 rpm???<br />I have read many posts about these engines setup for 5800, so I'm interested to see how it runs up there. I have tried a quick burst over 5000 but never hold it there, but I can feel it wants to go.

aanda6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New life for my Evinrude 100

Hi Cortes165, I am no expert, but you've done all that work so now go and enjoy the fruits of your labour. All the posts on this forum reccommend running at 5800 for the betterment of your engine. I am currently doing the same and I can tell you I am not doing it so that I don't go full throttle.

CATransplant

Admiral

Wow! I'm really glad you're back on the water. It sounds like that engine wasn't really rebuilt in the first place. Or at least not rebuilt properly.<br /><br />What happened to you should be instructive to others. Stuffing a set of pistons in an engine isn't rebuilding it. If the original problems aren't corrected, it will simply fail again. <br /><br />What you described sounds like a lousy job was done before. Now, it sounds like you have done it right.<br /><br />It sounds like you're just about broken in, too. I think you can safely run it up to WOT rpms, although I think I'd do that sparingly for another 10 hours or so, varying the rpms and load for that additional 10 hours, but using the full power part of the time.<br /><br />Good job!

Cortes165

Seaman

thanks. I plan on taking it easy and don't mind adjusting the throttle all the time. I'm patient especially after all the work and time we just put in. Also, I'm running 25/1 and it runs great. It will only get better when the mix goes up to 50/1.