New leaf springs?

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Trailer is 20 years old and it seems the springs sag a tad. I LOVE the stance of the trailer with no boat on it. But when its on it the wheels come close to the fender and sometimes on EXTREME angles when alot of the weight is on the back axle (laeving gas station or sharp curb) the tire will hit the fender inside. Trailer has 0 rust on it. No rust on the springs. Its a 3 leaf system. I see trailer places sell 4 leaf springs that would fit that are a tad stiffer. Thoughts? Its the same height all around. Trailer is a VanGuard double axle.

You can see in this pic how close it comes. Although tthe front is up making it look worse, if I lower the front its about the same.

camping_005.jpg

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New leaf springs?

If the springs aren't flattened out under load try putting longer links on the shackles if the spring eye is below the frame mount for the link. If they are flattened, then yes, I'd get the new 4 leaf ones installed.
Mike

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the trailer original to the boat?

Is the trailer rated for the weight of the boat?

If either of the questions is negative get newer springs. It might not be a bad idea anyway to update the springs and bushings under the trailer.
Just my $.02.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Trailer is Origional . I have the sales sheet from 1990 from the origional owner. He included the broshure as well and it states for the Trailer. 20-22' Feet ,4000# safe payload ,5212# GVWR Tire Size P205/70-14 (Yes it states passenger car tires.) I "did" however upgrade to ST tires BUT the only size they make which is close is 205/75/14 It made the tire larger but it was close before as well. Its just closer now. I'll check out the springs. Boat had 176 origonal hours when I bought it. So it sat in the PO's garage most of the time. When I bought it, it still ahd OH Expiration tags from 02 meaning he didnt use it for 5 years.

64osby

Admiral

I have a little boat compared to yours and a lot older. I took it on a vacation, with a little extra stuff tossed in. About 1 hour in to the trip both my trailer tires blew at the same time. Cost me a tow, 2 tires and a day of vacation.

When the boat was in the water, I took the trailer to a spring shop, they installed 2 extra leafs on each side. Cost about $140.00 and raised the trailer about 4".

No more rub and no more blown tires.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

At the age of your trailer its time for new springs anyway. Replace them yourself for under 100$. There not hard to do.