New Leaf Springs - Install

evilnss

Seaman
So I installed new leaf springs on my trailer today. the ones originally on there were 4 leafs. I went and got new ones with 5 leafs to get the body of the trailer a little higher off the ground and away from the tires (hit a pothole last week and the tired rubbed the boat)

After we got it all bolted up and back on the ground off jack stands, there was a few popping sounds. Im assuming its just the boat and trailer settling on its new leaf springs right?

BTW, my g/f actually was able to remove and replace one side pretty much by her self! (I just gave her some guidance!) Yup she's a keeper now!

John

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: New Leaf Springs - Install

Yes, keep that woman!! :D

The popping and crunching is normal however, just for safety I would recheck all of the bolts. Once you have a few miles on it........ maybe when you go and launch the boat..... spend some time checking and tightening the bolts. If you had U bolts on the leaf springs .......they have to be real tight.... use a breaker bar and not a ratchet on your bolts.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

So I installed new leaf springs on my trailer today. the ones originally on there were 4 leafs. I went and got new ones with 5 leafs to get the body of the trailer a little higher off the ground and away from the tires (hit a pothole last week and the tired rubbed the boat)
John

hopefully you didnt go to stiff with the new ones.. what is the trailer rated for and what rate springs did you put on? any clue how much the rig weighs?

rubbed the boat? no fenders?

deffinately keep her!!!

evilnss

Seaman

hopefully you didnt go to stiff with the new ones.. what is the trailer rated for and what rate springs did you put on? any clue how much the rig weighs?

No Idea, but it seems to ride alot better now.

rubbed the boat? Yup.....

no fenders? Oh it had fenders but when the tire hit it the fenders literally exploded! the old leaf springs were HORRIBLE!!!

deffinately keep her!!!

Sorry about the late reply.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

do not overtighten the spring hanger bolts, the springs need to move. You should finish tightening the ubolts on the trailer after the load is back on, which is prolly what the popping noise was.