New Inner race slipped into hub...no interference fit....

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice
decided to change the bearings on my trailer yesterday as I have no idea what kind of maintenance previous owner(s) did. things were going smoothly, tapped both races out, cleaned up the hub, and packed the new bearings. the outer race tapped in allright, nice tight fit. the inner race however, plopped right in?! compared it to the old race and visually cant tell a difference, although the old race does have a press fit into the hub.
long story short, i inspected the old inner race/bearings, looked darn near new after i cleaned em up so i re-packed the old bearings and pressed the old race back in. Just wondering if that's ok? from what i understand, if you re-pack old bearings you generally leave the races in.
-Greg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Inner race slipped into hub...no interference fit....

i have changed a lot of bearings using the old races.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Was there a difference in the last digit or letter of the bearing number? On some bearings, it indicates a difference of .0015 or .003
I learned it the hard way, with replacement bearings on the front hub of a classic GMC motorhome.

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice

Was there a difference in the last digit or letter of the bearing number? On some bearings, it indicates a difference of .0015 or .003

to be honest, i dont know. i gave the shorelander parts list to the NAPA guy and he set me up. Today i did the other wheel (sure went alot faster the 2nd time around :D) anyways, as with the first one, i just repacked the inner bearing and changed the outer. to be honest, the outer bearings were fine too, but since i had bought the new ones, figured i might as well use em.

Last edited:

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I ran into a similar problem when I bought replacement bearings at a local boat dealer. The new race was too big. When I compared the numbers on the races and bearings to the packaging, they did not match! I ended up using the old ones (races) because they were in good shape and it was too much hassle to go back on the weekend. Now I look *very* carefully at the parts before I leave the store...

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

decided to change the bearings on my trailer yesterday as I have no idea what kind of maintenance previous owner(s) did. things were going smoothly, tapped both races out, cleaned up the hub, and packed the new bearings. the outer race tapped in allright, nice tight fit. the inner race however, plopped right in?! compared it to the old race and visually cant tell a difference, although the old race does have a press fit into the hub.
long story short, i inspected the old inner race/bearings, looked darn near new after i cleaned em up so i re-packed the old bearings and pressed the old race back in. Just wondering if that's ok? from what i understand, if you re-pack old bearings you generally leave the races in.
-Greg
hard to say, if it was mine I would replace the hub so I would not worry about sitting on the side of the road instead of fishing.. but then again,thats just me.. I once had a 23 ft sea ray i.o. (heavy) launched it and pulled out and one of the trailer tires were floating in the water .. wat a bit+h.. :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would also replace the hub.

I always replace the races when replacing the bearings. It is too easy not to and the new bearing will get seated into its own new race.

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice

just a quick update: i checked the race numbers of the new verses the parts list, what i got from napa was L-68110, should have been L-68111. The bearings themselves were correct, but apparently the L-68110 is just slightly undersized on the O.D.
Guess I will pay more attention next time, but again, the old races and bearings were still in good shape so I ended up just repacking those (the inner ones).
As far as the hubs, they are still in good shape. (the tires are a different story....gonna have to replace those before next spring :D)
Thanks for the input, all.
-Greg