New I/O Owner few questions

koberlee

Seaman
Hello to everyone well I finaly did it I upgraded from my old outboard tri-hull to a slightly newer boat and am quite happy with the upgrade.
The purchase was an 84 Stingray SVB 165 SS w/ a mercruiser 3.0l 140 with a beutiful all original interior.
The boat runs out great and with a 4 blade power prop does 35mph at 4500rpm WOT, checked compression 120, 130, 120, 130 these look like good numbers with my limited experience. The only issue with the boat is that it does not like to idle expecialy after it is warmed up sits for a while then restarted. I plan on starting with a ignition tune up kit, wires, plugs, and coil and then moving to the carb if that does not fix the problem. Does this look like the right route to take or is there maybe something else I should look into or pitfalls of this motor I should keep my eyes on? Also it had around a quarter tank of gas in it when i picked it up I burned up as much as that as possible and then filled it up with premium. My other question is how do I tell what brand my outdrive is and what is a good brand of manuals for the motor and the outdrive.
Thanks in advance
Kyle

Coors

Captain
Re: New I/O Owner few questions

Check search threads in here; manuals probably on-line. Get a water/fuel separator, and read the threads in here.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats......:)
You have an Alpha 1 gen 1 most likely.......
Manual #6 covers that......
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

For your engine I'm pretty sure you need manual #3.......
By all means do a tuneup, but your problem sounds like a fuel issue to me......
I'd check the choke for proper operation for starters........;)

claycts

Cadet

First welcome! I also have an I/O boat and call it Empty Pockets, you will find out why.
Compression reads good as far as balance, no problem. THat age the manuel can be bought at any boat store or on line. I think it is an Alpha One BUT I am not sure.
Running like it is I would do a full tune-up BUT look at the plugs as you remove them and see if they are a light grey, that is GOOD wet and black is BAD. Before playing with the carb do the electrical part first. Then try ADJUSTING the carb. Rebuilding a carb is no fun and gives OK results at best.

Change your Fuel filter/seperator and the oil in the engine and the foot.