New Hubs and bearings

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How'd, i have just replaced both hubs and bearings and seals,
Took it for a test drive for about 100 kms.
My question is I noticed the hubs are now a little loose, would this be the bearings and bearings races all settling in and need a slight adjustment.
It not much but it wasn't there to start with,
The hubs where a little warm but not hot at all.
Should i re adjust them and that should be it.

Single axle, with a 175 XT bayliner on trailer.
new 14" mags and tyres as well.

thanx for the help.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: New Hubs and bearings

Final Castle Nut Adjustment:

• To make sure the hub is seated properly, back off the castle nut until it is loose.
  • Then tighten the castle nut snugly until it stops.
  • Look to see where the cotter pin hole lines up with one of the notches on the nut.
    • On hubs that use the tang washer or cage to lock the nut, you will have to do this by sight.
  • Then back the nut off one notch, so that the cotter pin will fit through the castle nut.
  • Install the cotter pin and then spin and rock the hub.
    • When you rock the hub you should feel the hub barely moving front to back.
    • Try experimenting by loosening the castle nut one more notch to feel the difference in the play in the hub.
  • Then install the wheel and rock the hub again.
    • On the outside edge of the tire, the movement should not be more than 1/4" inch.
    • Any play should be barely noticeable.
  • When you are satisfied with the adjustment, secure the cotter pin.
    • Push the pin through the hole on the end of the spindle and through the notches on the nut.
    • Then split the bottom of the pin to the left and right.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

It's always wise to recheck the axles after installing new races and bearings. Just when you think you drove that race home, it's pretty common for it to find it's own home so to speak. Snug them up, back them off to the next free moving slot on the castle nut and repeat next year after repacking. Should be good.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I have to agree fully with Derrick S. I've rebuilt many trailers and he has the exact answer you're looking for. Using household carpet or cheap outdoor carpeting will work.

What????

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My boat trailer had over 50,000 miles on it when I sold it. If you have disc brakes, it's good to have a little extra bearing clearance to let the rotor 'wobble' the pads back into the caliper for clearance to reduce drag heat. After preloading, set the nut for only a very slight tick of clearance, then back it off one more flat...at least that's what I do. No brakes or drum brakes are a different story and don't require the extra clearance. A click instead of a tick is my rule for bearing clearence on disc brakes.

If your brakes never get hot, they aren't working.

I only bend one side of the cotter pin.

YMMV