New House, New Job

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Hi all,<br /><br />I have been stressed lately. My hosiptal system is in the midst of consolidating it's data centers into a central enterprise data center 6 hours away. I manage our local data center here so you can imagine what that had been doing to me. On top of that the hospital I'm based in is having it's ownership transferred to another university hospital. That's what happens when you are so far in debt that you can't get out. You find someone that will take the whole outfit, debt, property, and all, for free. Well, apparently anyway. So to cut to the chase the future of my job is uncertian.<br /><br />My wife and I bought a 100 year old house for a song (ok 170,000 songs) 2 years ago and in January she decided she had enough of the house and enough of her family's 'issues' that live 2 miles away and said she wanted to sell and move down nearer to my parents. My parents are on some of the prime boating/fishing territory around here. How could I argue. <br /><br />Selling the old house proved to be a lot more stress on top of everything else. Luckily the buyers really loved it or I think otherwise it would have fallen through. <br /><br />Had a contract on a house and the sellers backed out in the grace period. More stress, and my house was already sold, so I NEEDED a house. <br /><br />OK Here's where the good news starts. <br /><br />Our old house sold in 4 days for 290,000. So that's a 120,000 profit in 2 years. Of course we used some equity to pay off some existing debt. Still, we were able to get a bigger, 3 year old house where we wanted to and still have cash left over, and a lower mortgage payment and taxes to boot. <br /><br />Just moved in this week. So great having floors and cielings that don't slope. And Drywall. Real drywall. And no wallpaper. And insulation. And a furnace that's 3 years old not (literally) 40. <br /><br />Now with the move, the commute to my uncertian job went from 50-60 minutes to 2 hours. I had been interviewing a bit in a closer city (phila) and today got an offer that's damn near what I'm making in the 'big city' pay scale and is just over an hour commute. I'm going to review the package they're fed-exing me tomorrow and if all looks good I'll give my 2 week notice here Monday. <br /><br />Has been a stressful 3 months but it's over finally! :)

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New House, New Job

Just updated my iBoats "From:" so you know it's official!!!<br /><br /> :D

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

CONGRATS!!!! Not everybody is that lucky. Inlaws live about a mile in each direction. Plus side is the give us space..............and daycare is free. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Congrats! I thought the rule of thumb was to have your in-laws 3 hours away..........by Jet!

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only thing more trying than old boats, is old houses. Rebuild 1880 farm house years ago. Did not sink, but near sank my sanity. They really dont build them like they used to, and I am so glad for it. NEW is better. Batavier

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good for you stiff, I also just moved in to a great house, however I am still jobless and starting to sell off my goods. God bless and may the winds keep your sails full!!