New here

I am new to this site and am looking forward to getting alot of helpful information. Currently I do not have a boat but am thinking about getting one. What are some good inexpensive boats (used) that a soon to be college graduate could afford?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Mat

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New here

First let be welcome you aboard.<br />Now, you will find all kinds of help here.<br />What kinda boat you looking for?<br />Pleasure, bass, let us know and then we can steer you in the right direction.<br /><br />Again, welcome aboard.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Mat,<br /><br />We need to narrow it down somewhat. You must decide on a budget (purchase and running cost) and your planned use.<br /><br />The more you tell us, the better and faster you'll get good advice.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Welcome aboard to the fastest growing forum on the net. To me it is the ONLY place to get help and a place to rant once in awhile. Plus a very wide range of boating parts and accessories with excellent service.<br /><br />I agree with the others, first we need to know your intentions for the use of the boat. Speed? water sports, fishing, or something easy to tow and to get into shallow water. We got lots of answers fer ya here! :D Post those questions....

Sorry I was so vague, I am looking for a pleasure boat to just cruise around in and do some water sports. I would like to have a V8 but not a necessity. The most I would be able to swing right now would be $150.00 a month. Thanks for the welcoming.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the party Mat. We have a good time here and its always nice when someone new arrives. Party on!<br /> Good luck with the boat searching. We're happy with our little 12 footer. Only cost $600 5 years ago. Just perfect for two.<br />Bassy

tylerin

Commander

Welcome aboard SCZ, if you get a 12 footer like Bassy suggested along with the v-8 you would prefer, you've got yourself a watersport right there ;)

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Anything is possible....not advisable...but possible ;) <br />Welcome to iboats, you will learn much here.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

What kinda waters do you plan on using it on?<br /><br />Running costs assumes a not too big boat. This will even make a smaller motor sufficient and help the overall value. How many persons do you want to take?<br /><br />We usually suggest motors of no less than 75-80% of max rated for the boat as this allows the boat to perform as designed for. And provide power for toys.<br /><br />Do you plan on trailering? Outboards are way more popular for trailer use. <br /><br />Outboards are different from i/o's in more ways: Performance, servicing, repair/replacement. <br /><br />Have you seen any boat already, within your scope, the you like? Talked to any owners?

No I haven't seen any boats yet just trying to research right now. My grandpa had an outboard an it planed out very quickly. What are some of the other differences with I/O and outboards? I will be using it for strictly lakes, and take at the most 6 or 7 people on it.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

As you can imagine, oppinions vary on out- vs. in/out motors. A search here will reveal plenty!<br /><br />Outbords tilt higher (often completely out of the water) which helps trailering and beaching. Outboards are normally easier to access for service work, and in any event of removing it from the boat, it's much easier than an i/o. <br />Repowering with an outboard is pretty easy.<br /><br />Outboards are specifically made for marine use - inboards are marinized automotive engines (many alterations but still auto block and main components). Inboards weigh more but benefits from a lower/better point of gravity (more important to some hulls than others). At least compared to traditional outboards (2-stroke), the inboards (4-stroke) vibrate less, idles better and tends to be more humble on gas consumption. <br /><br />Brand new boats are often cheaper per hp with i/o.<br /><br />Gas is a completely different matter with new outboards.<br /><br />Personally I'm not fond of gas engines stored away in a closed compartment (fumes + heat/sparks = Big Bang) even though it works fine for so many.<br />Any excess fuel from an outboard stays out of the boat.<br /><br />I'd suggest you look for a runaboat of some 17' with at least 80% of max rated hp, preferably a not too old outboard, to get started.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

How goods your credit...There are some awsome boats in the $45,000 range...Humm let's see 45k at 0% intrest is only $150 month for 25 years... Yeah that sounds doable!!!<br /><br />Don't mind me I'm just funning ya, Welcome aboard. ;)

KennyKenCan

Commander

I perchased my boat brand new in 1995.<br /><br />It's a 20' SeaSwirl 201 Cuddy Cabin.<br /><br />Came with a 115HP Johnson outboard, and Easy Load trailer.<br /><br />All for $13,995.00 plus financing.<br /><br />Have had it 9 years now.<br /><br />One of the best investments I have made in a while.<br /><br />
fb742c50.jpg

Since I am only a college student, I don't have much credit right now, that is why I would have to pay cash for it.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

supercrewzin01,<br />Welcome to iBoats. Cash is the best way to go even if you did have a credit history. Believe me, you will enjoy whatever boat you get a heck of a lot more if it's not a regular financial burdon. Plenty of folks put their name on the dotted line in May for that bright shiney new boat and then regret it by November when they're still making the payments, but it's too cold to take the boat out. Just look in the classifieds, you'll see plenty of 2-3 year old boats for sale.