New here looking for a boat

AKHeritage

Recruit
Hey guys first off I would like to say great forum. I have a couple of questions. I am not quite in the market for a boat just yet being that I am stationed in Alaska and hopefully PCSing down south or at least soe place warmer but I have been researching a lot trying to figure out if I should buy used or new which will hopefully be within a year from now. I have been eyeballing the Tahoe Q5i. I am looking for a bowrider used my max I would like to go is about 15000 or new well I have found a new Tahoe going for about 19000. Any suggestions on other boats would be greatly appreciated. I just want to do my research before I make a purchase that way I won't regret. I am looking for something to do water sports and cruise with and I have my wife and daughter and occasionally our two dogs. Also this will be my first boat purchase but I have been around little Jon boats all my life as my dad is an avid fisherman. Again thanks in advance and look forward to posting more in these forums.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: New here looking for a boat

Well it sounds like a bowrider will fit well with your intended usage. I would strongly recommend going used versus new. It seems like nothing depreciates like a boat so let someone else take the hit. There should be lots of very nice used boats in the price range you're shooting for. Many people buy a new boat and then decide boating isn't for them so there are some really low hour boats on the market especially in the small bowrider segment. I am not a fan of Tahoe or any of the other brands made by Tracker marine based on some of the experiences others have described on this forum. That's just my opinion though and I have had no personal experience with them.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New here looking for a boat

There's been many many bad boats but there's been just as many good boats out there. In your price range, a quality 19-22 bowrider should be easy to come by. My advise - buy as big and powerful as you afford, tow and store to stave off footitis for a while.:D And, get an inspection from professional surveyor. Just because it's a Cobalt or Chris Craft, it could still be a piece of junk if the previous owner didn't care for it properly.