New head unit and speakers for boat

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking for a new head unit and speakers for my boat. First the head unit does not have to be waterproof, it will be in the console. I want something to hook a ipod up to and nothing too expensive. For the speakers I have two cutouts on the side that are 4" in diamiter, so it will have to fit that. I also would like to more box type speakers to mount under the two consoles, those dont really have to be waterproof. so I would like to do this on a budget so nothing too expensive, but at the same time something that is going to sound good, I dont want those cheap $20 boss marine speakers. let me know what you think.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: New head unit and speakers for boat

Just get an $80 head unit from your local Walmart and use speakers that at least have poly cones instead of paper. You get what you pay for so just remember that.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

For a head unit that's a step above the generic Boss type crap, I would highly recommend a Clarion marine stereo. You can pick a good one up for not much more than $100 and it will not only last but sound great without an amp. http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-M109-...1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1331823481&sr=1-1-catcorr

For 4" speakers, go with Polk Audio. They're under $50 a pair, and sound GREAT for such little speakers. I run 6 of them in my swim deck with no problem. http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-4-...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331823538&sr=1-2

For the "box type speakers", you're going to have to clarify. If you're looking for 6.5" rounds or 6x9" ovals, I would recommend Infinity's. They're hands down the best sounding and most bang for your buck out there. The price is also WAY down on these since we aren't to summer yet. These are both normally about $115/pair. http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refe...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331823849&sr=1-1 or http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refe...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331823849&sr=1-2

Pro tip: Sign up for the free Amazon prime trial and get free two day shipping. Turn off auto-renew and don't get charged for it at the end of your month. Feel like continuing it? Just start another Amazon account and sign up again. Rinse and repeat process.

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

how does this head unit look, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...Deck/3130214.p?id=1218379520727&skuId=3130214.

For the speakers, The cutout is 4" but that does not mean I need four in. speakers. The one that is in there right now is a 5" speaker and somebody had a couple extra profile speakers that are 6.5" but sill fit in the 4" cutout. so I might just use those for now. Now for the box speakers, under the console's there is a speaker that is inside a box mounted to the side wall of the console. here is a pic of the one that is in there now that is blown out. also there is a pic of what my cutout looks like.

Attachments

• boat speaker.jpg
    boat speaker.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • speaker cutout..jpg
    speaker cutout..jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0

Sixmark

Those look to be something that was added as an afterthought and look very much like the sets you could get from Sparkomatic, you could save yourself the hassle and get a new set of box speakers instead of trying to replace those ones.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

how does this head unit look, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...Deck/3130214.p?id=1218379520727&skuId=3130214.

For the speakers, The cutout is 4" but that does not mean I need four in. speakers. The one that is in there right now is a 5" speaker and somebody had a couple extra profile speakers that are 6.5" but sill fit in the 4" cutout. so I might just use those for now. Now for the box speakers, under the console's there is a speaker that is inside a box mounted to the side wall of the console. here is a pic of the one that is in there now that is blown out. also there is a pic of what my cutout looks like.

That head unit is not marine and non water resistant in the least.. it will most likely last a few months if that. Sony's are notoriously short lived when it comes to water. Spend $15 more and get the one that I posted the link to.

You could put any sized speakers you want in those cutouts if you'd like to modify them, or just screw in whatever fits. Those speakers in boxes are junk.. toss those things. If you want to mount more speakers, do it the right way and cut some holes on your side panels. You could fit some nice 6.5"s in there.

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

Ya, but on the head unit it will be in the glove box that will never get wet. The one that is in is a cheapy that is non, marine and it looks like it has been in there for ever, the problem with it is the screen connection does not always work and you have to push on the screen to make it work. Ya I put some 6.5" speakers in the cutout for now that somebody just had laying around and gave me. And yes I am going to rip out the box speakers and and my plan is to eventually put a sub there.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Will you be using an ipod on your boat?

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I want a head unit with a ipod hookup.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

:facepalm:

You're gonna do what you're gonna do. Not sure why you're asking for help if you're not going to listen to it.

Good luck.

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

Well, let me know a good reason to have a marine head unit, It will be fully enclosed in the glove box and there has never been water in there.

Sixmark

If you can get a marine unit at a decent price then do so, however you can get by with a standard unit. The automotive deck in our 1977 tri hull has been working fine now for about 18 years.

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, let me know a good reason to have a marine head unit, It will be fully enclosed in the glove box and there has never been water in there.

the display on your current deck malfunctions due to the effect of moisture...good enough reason for a marrine unit?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

the display on your current deck malfunctions due to the effect of moisture...good enough reason for a marrine unit?
The OP hasn't been here since May! Do not resurrect old posts.

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The OP hasn't been here since May! Do not resurrect old posts.

my post will inform others that may read this and have the same question, the information provided are not only for the original poster but future readers as well

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my post will inform others that may read this and have the same question, the information provided are not only for the original poster but future readers as well

Please do not resurrect old, dead threads. If you have a question or something to say start a new thread.