New guy

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just wanted to introduce myself I'm 28 married and live in ohio. The wife and I are getting out of racing motocross due to injurys and are looking at getting into boating. We have 3 boys, our focus is mainly on tubing and fishing. Neither one of us are looking to ski due to many leg,foot and back injurys. My grandfather had an old 70's glastron we used to fish from and cuise at ceasar creek and I've always wanted a boat of my own.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New guy

what are the boys ages, that is a main concern. remember the kids are one day want to tube or ski, and take a friend along. i love my deckboat, for family times.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just wanted to introduce myself I'm 28 married and live in ohio. The wife and I are getting out of racing motocross due to injurys and are looking at getting into boating. We have 3 boys, our focus is mainly on tubing and fishing. Neither one of us are looking to ski due to many leg,foot and back injurys. My grandfather had an old 70's glastron we used to fish from and cuise at ceasar creek and I've always wanted a boat of my own.

Welcome to iboats!

Just out of being curious..... are your boys going to ride moto? Boating is fun.

Anything we can do to help..... we will try. We have alot of great iboats people in Ohio.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shop around for sure and then once you think that you have something worth your while have a pro look at it. If you just look at shows and shops you might just not find the deals.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Thats ^^^ good advise..............I'd just add boats "get small" when you add water. When you water test the boat your contemplating buying make sure you load it as if you were going out for the day. Kids, coolers, water toys, and friends if that would be the normal case. Any how good luck and welcome aboard.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the replys. My boys are 6,5,and 3. I have been looking around just see whats out there but I dont think I'm going to buy untill next summer. We are in the process of liquidating all of our moto stuff. I would like a bow rider, 7 person boat, and I'm pretty sure I would rather have an inboard/outboard. Looking somewhere around 6gs and under and something water ready. I don't think I'll have trouble finding it, seems that the entire state of Ohio is for sale.

Hey bob_vt they have been riding/practicing for about a year now but I havent put them on a gate. I dont think I will either. To much money, and it doesnt go anywhere. They really like all sports and I havent seen a kid get a scholarship for being fast in moto at the local level. I would hate for a moto injury to ruin choices for them later in life. My wife has a bachelors in criminal justice and was on the list to join the local sheriff. She was just waiting for her training date, and last year an injury made it impossible for her ever to be cop so it kinda all hit home. She shatterd her heel last year, this year broke her tibia and tore her ACL.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quad, you'll be able to find a nice boat for 6k.... especially now. You'd be suprised at how many guys are willing to trade their boats for moto. I see it in Cleve craigslist all the time - just make sre you get an inspection so you know what you're in for.

I'd try and take everyone out for a day trip if you can - to see how you guys would use the boat. We have an openbow and really love it - although you may need a portable head for the little guys. And now that we have our bimini - we can stay out all day without feeling baked.

Three boys is going to be fun. Don't forget to make sure there's room for fishing rods!

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thought about going new but that would require me to finance a large portion. I would only want to put that 6 down or maybe less do to the fact that I would have to buy all my safety gear. Looking around the local classifieds I see alot of bayliners,maxum, reinker. Any thoughts on which brand to stick to.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome Quad59. Sorry to hear about you leaving the sport. I've been broken and screwed back together many times (so has my wife), but its too fun to give up. We both ride and love it. Of course, boating is a blast too. :D

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

In a used boat, brand is not nearly as important as condition. In that price range the quality of what is avilable will vary greatly. You can get a very good, reliable, well maintained boat, or you could get a boat that looks good but is filled with water logged foam, rotten stringers, a worn-out engine, and a transom that needs replacing; repairs that will take many hours of labor and cost more than the boat is worth if you have to pay someone else to do the work. The highest quality new boat can be a nightmare if the previous owner neglected it, where a well cared for "entry level" brand can make a wonderful used boat. Just read some of the horror stories on this forum. Invest the money in having a knowledgeable professional evaluate any boat before you purchase unless you can afford to gamble $6K.