New guy pls help

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking at a 1986 bayliner trophy, The owner states its a 2106 but I can only find a 2160 on nada.It has a 3.0 volvo.The boat looks to have little use and owner says it has been dry stored for years.Can anyone suggest if this boat would be powerfull enough for tubing/kneeboarding ?We are a family of 5 with 1 teen and 2 younger.We have been to the lake with friends but have never owned a boat.We can not afford new so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

JC

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New guy pls help

The boat looks to have little use and owner says it has been dry stored for years.

Years?? Thoroughly check the engine, check for signs of dry rot(hoses, exhaust bellows,etc...) give a good looking over, not just what the boat looks like:)

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks,I will look it over for those items.Im a motorcycle tech by trade,so im no stranger to mechanical type stuff.But just looking for ideas on what to look for.

Thanks again
JC

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Water in the oil, gas smell in the oil, the exhaust bellows(cracks or holes) do not run the engine with out using muffs(water) can you ask the guy if you can hear it run, smell the gas first(terpentine smell.) don't start it until you know gas is good. my God the list can go on and on. Your a mechanically inclined, you should have hardly any trouble with all of the Iboat members here. Oh, was it used in salt water or fresh??? If water was left inside(Especially Salt water) while being stored for years you could have a lot of probs. Was it winterized?? there is so much..Pat Post your same question on the "Mercruiser/volvo inboard engine/sterndrive problems" forum you'll get some more responses too

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea fresh water only,the boat was stored for years he said,it has been in service for the last year out on our local lake.The marina(selling it for the owner) said I could take it out for a test drive.I just wanted to make sure I have all my ducks in a row when I do,as my knowledge of boats is low.
Sorry I guess I should have thought out my original post to make it clear what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help.

JC

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Good Luck! I hope It's what your looking for, have him show you how to get the best performance by using your trim and drive properly with the RPM's. Have fun. Let us know too many people don't keep us updated>>>Pat

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Checked it out,a little to much work for the money( the pic sent to me must have been from a while back). The boat season is almost over here in NC,hopefully I can pick something up cheap and in decent shape soon.

Thnaks for the help......

JC

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Well I am sure you made the right decision, so you went and looked at it, what was he asking for it?

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I am sure you made the right decision, so you went and looked at it, what was he asking for it?

3500,The pictures that were sent looked awesome,BUT when we arrived it was obvious that they were taken awhile back.I will keep searching and see what turns up when the season is over.I am hoping that as the season winds down so will the used boat prices,could be wishfull thinking though.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Keep me posted, sent a private message if you want so I am not searching all over the forums:)>>Pat

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ditto with the above. Plus get a Sea trial. See if it meets your demands.