New Guy, Old Boat; Which Outdrive Do I Have?

PSYKO_Inc

Cadet
Hi everyone! I recently purchased my first boat; a 1971 Delta 16' Tri-hull with the original Volvo Penta AQ170A inline six (and three carburetors that are way out of adjustment, but that's a whole other thread...) I think the outdrive is a 270, but the ID plate is missing and I don't know how to tell for sure. Also do I have a long hub or short hub prop? At 5000 RPM, the boat tops out at 37mph according to GPS, and I feel like it's got a lot left in it. The prop it came with the boat doesn't have any markings, but when the motor comes alive it pulls out of the hole pretty quickly, so I'm guessing it's got a rather low-pitched prop. What prop would you guys recommend for this boat/engine combination?

Shot of the outdrive, and some gratuitous boat pics :D
174_6643.jpg

174_6644.jpg

174_6640.jpg

photo5.jpg

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Guy, Old Boat; Which Outdrive Do I Have?

vp 270,
I have the same one. there is markings on the inside of your prop if you did'nt already know that. a 17 or 21 is good you could aready have a 17

PSYKO_Inc

Cadet

Thanks, I took another look at the prop but could not find any markings on it; would I have to remove the prop to see them? Also how do I remove the cone thing from the center? I'm guessing there's a nut under there that holds the prop onto the shaft? And is it a long or short hub? Really hoping it's a long hub, since long props are a lot less expensive and readily available...

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi everyone! I recently purchased my first boat; a 1971 Delta 16' Tri-hull with the original Volvo Penta AQ170A in-line six (and three carburetors that are way out of adjustment, but that's a whole other thread...) I think the out drive is a 270, but the ID plate is missing and I don't know how to tell for sure. Also do I have a long hub or short hub prop? At 5000 RPM, the boat tops out at 37mph according to GPS, and I feel like it's got a lot left in it. The prop it came with the boat doesn't have any markings, but when the motor comes alive it pulls out of the hole pretty quickly, so I'm guessing it's got a rather low-pitched prop. What prop would you guys recommend for this boat/engine combination?

Shot of the out-drive, and some gratuitous boat pics :D
174_6640.jpg

1st welcome to iBoats
I can see in the picture of the engine the plate with the inboard and outboard setup. Its under the 3rd plug wire and just to the left of the circle(soft plug) on the block. The wire harness goes halfway cover it in the pic.

Also take another pic of the bottom end /side of the outdrive so we can see to figure out the long or short,ok.

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my boat has a bolt in the center of the cone which holds the cone that is threaded onto the prop shaft. some cones are threaded on but lock with a lock tab that sits behid the cone bend them back then use a block of wood to hold you pro still then put a screw driver in the hole on the side of the little cone thn turn counter clockwise . use a hammer and a piece of wood to bang the prop off there should be markings on the inside of the prop. grease the spines when you put a new propback on

PSYKO_Inc

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I checked the engine tag and it is in fact an AQ170A/270. Also my prop cone has the little tabs, so I'll see if I can get it removed sometime this week to check out my prop. Does anyone have any tips or things to look out for on this engine/outdrive combo?

Here are the outdrive pics that were requested to identify the long/short prop hub:
SAM_0081.jpg

SAM_0082.jpg

Also had a bit of a snafu yesterday while loading the boat onto the trailer, in case any of you happen to be fiberglass experts...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=495123&p=3341762#post3341762