New Gimbal bearing won’t take grease

CuddyLicious

Cadet
Gimbal bearing questions....

I just installed a new gimbal bearing on a Volvo DP-SM and it won’t take grease. Before installing with the alignment tool installer I marked the ring and lined it up with the grease tube and drove it in. The grease hole was in the gap so any ideas what could be the problem? When I pump grease into the zerk the grease want to squeeze out of the ring inside of the housing.
Can these be removed without having to replace due to damage?

Could it not be all the way seated? It felt like it back seated when installing as the noise changed as it went in and it felt solid.

Do they come pre greased? Can I run it and pull and replace next year when I pull the drive for inspection?

I installed it with the slots facing forward (bow facing) I wouldn’t think this should matter?
Thanks

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Remove the fitting....try to shoot grease thru it not attached....I've gotten bad fittings...rare but it happens...they run thousands threw before sharpening and recalibrating the tool or tools

CuddyLicious

Cadet
I’m not sure I understand. Which fitting? I get grease thru the zerk fitting but can’t get grease “into” the bearing but rather only “around” the bearing.
Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure this is a greasable gimble bearing? Because the newer ones are often not greasable. Another foolish idea from Merc & Volvo.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Are you sure this is a greasable gimble bearing? Because the newer ones are often not greasable. Another foolish idea from Merc & Volvo.
Ahhh...good point...but why have the fitting??

CuddyLicious

Cadet
Yes I purposely bought a serviceable bearing. I wanted to use a Valvoline EP full synthetic moly fortified grease but it’s not as viscous as regular green wheel bearing grease. Think I might try switching grease and see if I can get some green thick grease in there. Right now the path of least resistance is out the sides. A more viscous grease may travel into the bearing.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Try reaching in and turning the bearing while greasing it. I use Lucas marine grease (blue grease) and no problem with greasing it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If grease is coming out on the inner ring, you installed it correctly. I agree you need to rotate while greasing.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the holes didn't align right.
Take it back out and reinstall.
Then grease it while running.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the holes didn't align right.
Take it back out and reinstall.
Then grease it while running.
If the holes didn't align right, there would be no grease going in past the ring...he is getting grease past the ring.

CuddyLicious

Cadet
Never was able to get the bearing to take grease. Talked to the local Certified Volvo shop and he said the bearing comes pre packed with some thick grease and it's not uncommon. I'm going to run it on the muffs and give it a few shots of grease after it warms a bit and hope for the best and next year I'll pull the drive and try again. Thanks for all the input.