new fuel tank

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: new fuel tank

That appears to be an underdeck tank. it should be permanantly mounted under the deck. It has provisions for a permanent deck mounted fill and vent fittings, and no screw on top.

There are above deck tanks in 12 and 18 gallon versions(or more). They are usually red, and although they are considered portable, you can leave them strapped into the boat and fill them from jerry cans.

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Under deck is what I need it's in the bow just wasn't too sure about the molded fittings. You think 12 gallons is enough for a lake boat? On occasion I'll be going to Lake Mead I'm not sure what size the original tank is.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks those links answered some questions some I didn't know I had, hah. Although the boat already has a permanent tank in the bow.

It's a 15' Glasspar Avalon with a 80hp Merc not sure what it weighs.

Can't see the tank in the pic, boats kind of in a tight spot right now pics are hard to take. But tanks obviously on other side of kick plate er whatever you call it.

Attachments

• IMG_0532-4.JPG
    IMG_0532-4.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0533-3.JPG
    IMG_0533-3.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 0

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took the old one out today it didn't appear sludged but it was very rusty inside. The tank is basically a triangle with rounded corners which I don't think I'm going to find but I think a wider rectangular tank will fit. Don't have a pic but I made a drawing if my math is right :confused: it's about 13 gallons. oops one pic way to small. Well the drawing with the depth measure is actual tank the other is rough dimensions of bow area that the tank can sit on. I don't have the height that I'd like old tank only 10.5" tall if I went any taller I'd need a 90 degree filler inlet.

Attachments

• rough bow measurements.jpg
    rough bow measurements.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 0
  • original tank.jpg
    original tank.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Current plan is to get a ~6 gallon portable to get the motor running and as a backup for the main tank. I'm thinking I should be able to put some kind of valve to switch from the permanent to the portable. I'm guessing it would need it's own bulb to prime it.