new fuel tank & gas fumes

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
I have an old 22' boat with an o/b and had to replace the fuel tank. I installed a new plastic fuel tank in the cc where the old fuel tank was located. Since then I've noticed gas fumes in the cc while the boat is sitting on the trailer.<br /><br />I have checked the hoses for cracks (I installed new ones with the new tank) and cannot find any.<br />I cannot find any gas leaks.<br />So I am wondering where the fumes could be coming from?<br /><br />When I installed the tank I did not use teflon tape on the hose fittings. Should I have?<br /><br />thanks.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new fuel tank & gas fumes

What about the vent?

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure what you mean?<br /><br />Yes, the vent is still there, I just connected the old hose for the vent to the new tank.<br /><br />Is there anything specific I should be looking at with the vent?<br /><br />I am new to all of this, and unfortunately I live out in the boonies, I have to try and do a lot of my repairs myself.<br /><br />thanks again for your help.

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's warm there isn't it? I'd first look at the vent and see if expansion of the fuel is forcing gas fumes out of the vent in larger concentration than might happen somewhere chillier. Otherwise, all other things being checked and equal you should look at the tank all over for a pinhole leak. I had a plastic tank from a major manufacturer with a pinhole leak near the top of one side. It drove me nuts when the tank was full. It would allow no more than a seep, almost not visible, which only happened when the tank was full. Not only that, but it was on the back side which was hard to get to. I'd sure think vent first, lines next, and leak last, though.

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

In checking the hoses I did discover that the primer bulb will not hold it's pressure. You sure can hear the gas flowing when I squeeze it but it never gets hard.<br /><br />That's strange?

D

DJ

tarpon,<br /><br />The most likely culprit is the vent hose. It cannot be kinked or have any dips in its run to the outside vent.<br /><br />No need for teflon tape on the connections.<br /><br />Replace the primer bulb, they do wear out.