New Fuel Bulb will not get hard. Engine will not run. 1997, 75 HP, ELPT. Pontoon

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

Would a lip fuel bulb not allow my Force to start?

I have a question about my 1997 Force, 75 HP, ELPT, SN# OE250062 which will now not start. I am in the process of getting it ready for the boating season and I have been doing my routine maintenance.

I changed the impeller, fuel filter, spark plugs and fuel line assembly from the tank up to the connection at the Engine/ Motor. The old fuel bulb would leave black rubber carbon on my hands when I used it. This carbon / rubber would then get on the interior of the boat, so I wanted to change the bulb out.

Yesterday, I installed Force fuel line and bulb assembly that is just a few years old that was on a 2 gallon reserve tank that I use for De-Carbing. When I squeeze this new primer bulb it never gets hard and the engine will not start. I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel pump for a test. When I squeezed the bulb fuel would pump out so I thought I was getting fuel to the engine. I could also see a little excess fuel dripping from the carb and out of the muffler (center of the prop). The engine would not start yesterday so I figured that I had flooded the engine by pumping the bulb so much.

Today, I tried again and could not get the motor to start. I am thinking the fact that the fuel bulb will not get hard is my problem. I know that there are check valves in the bulb. Would a limp bulb, not allow my motor to fire up?

Thanks,

Donald

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Fuel Bulb will not get hard. Engine will not run. 1997, 75 HP, ELPT. Ponto

Do you still have the old one to try again and see if its the problem?

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New Fuel Bulb will not get hard. Engine will not run. 1997, 75 HP, ELPT. Ponto

MJS,

Thanks, I wish I did. I cut off the ends and threw the hose and bulb away. I even took the trash to the dump. However, I just went and looked at the ends that I saved and sure enough there is a CHECK VALVE in the end that connects to the gas tank. It is an aluminum fitting with a check ball. The new assembly had a brass end with no ball.

Tomorrow I will check it out and confirm my thoughts that there no ball check in the newer assembly. I will use the old end (check valve) and reinstall on the newer assembly. I am glad I save those ends. The one end near the engine is Force specific but the one with the check valve near the gas tank is not. I wish I save the entire assembly.

I should of known it was a shade tree mechanic error that I made.

LOL

Donald

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Spend the bucks and get a new hose and ball.
Then check the fuel pump diaphram(just in case).
The end on the motor side is just there to stop gas from comming out when disconected.
That fitting is probably a Mercury fitting.
Squeezies are CHEAPLY made and come out of the box bad(Tempo)
This site has them or Wally World.Spend the $ and that way you know it's good and not a used item that can be bad.
Ethanol is VERY bad on hoses and squeezies so buy new.

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did not have time to try to crank the motor before darkness, but I pulled off the assembly and confirmed that there was no check valve in the assembly at the connection near the tank. I put that connection on the end of the hose assembly. Now the primer bulb gets hard.

Thanks,

Donald

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Motor still will not start. I believe the flywheel has slipped on the crank keyway. Two weeks ago, when it tried to fire it broke off the starter bendix. This is the second time it has done this in the last four years. I spoke with a outboard mechanic friend ( 12 hours away) and he believes the timing has jumped with the flywheel. I am hoping it is just the key and the end of the crank is OK.

I will start a new thread.

Donald