New Etec 200 prop question

dukewichers

Cadet
I just purchaced a new 200 Etec to replace a 92 carbed 200. The 92 had a SST 15x17 and was turning 5700 with a light load (one person 37 gal fuel 100 lbs gear) and 5300 with a full load. I purchaced a new stiletto advantage II 14 1/2 x 17 with the new motor. Now I am turning 5000 at 42mph Gps, I can back off to 4600 and still run 40mph GPS. What gives? I would like to see this motor turn at least 5700 so when I fully load it it's running right above peak power,5250.

My boat is a Reno skiff (www.renoboats.com) close to 3500 fully loaded. The engine sits on a manual 6" set back jack plate and it runs best with very little trim. Water pressure is good 22 @ WOT. I am almost all the way up on the jack plate and the dealer put the new motor on at the 2nd hole from the top. That puts the cav plate even with the bottom of the boat, the dealer said I might have to go down, not up when I picked the boat up.

Do I need to start jacking up in 1/4 inch increments to see if I gain RPM or replace the prop with something else? The dealer will trade props to get it right, but I am trying not to push my luck.

Thanks in advance,
Duke

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Etec 200 prop question

You didn't mention your old speed.
Not an expert but i'd say your not likely to pick up 700 rpm but I would raise it until ventilation becomes a problem while keeping an eye on water pressure.
If you can get an inch you might gain 2 to 3 mph.And of course some rpm.